lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-01-2022, 10:48 PM   #11
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: How Low Do You Go (When To Recharge)

51.2 is actually 17%. There is no reason to let it go that low. But it won't hurt it either.

Myself, I like a fresh charge for a 20 mile cruise that occasionally pops up! (I haven't got anything better to do!)
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-02-2022, 12:48 AM   #12
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Your battery is LiFePO4, calibrate your charger to 58.4v, not to 58.8v. I don't know why they would set it to 61v from the factory, that's just asking for trouble. Having said that, it still doesn't address the fact that your BMS stopped the charging process at 55.6v. The charger should stop the charge process, not the BMS. The BMS is the protection device, not the charge controller.

............Really Tom, you're splitting hairs over 3% in a LiFePO4 voltage vs SOC discussion Seriously though, the amount of torque on the 32 individual cell bolts will have a greater affect on voltage, especially under load, than a 3%, or even 10% change in SOC between about 10% and 90% charge.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 07:08 AM   #13
Ronno6
Gone Wild

I cannot actually swear who does what when things happen.
All I can see is that the charge builds to a point, then the voltage displayed shoots way up.....the charger is still running and putting out voltage, so I conclude that it is the BMS that interrupts the battery cells from seeing it.

I need to keep a watch on the voltage and when it rises at the end, disconnect to see what the battery voltage is at that moment. Maybe it is higher than what I have reported, and had already begun falling off before I got to it.
If not, then there is some level of charge still going in so as to maintain at the higher voltage. Maybe that is some sort of saturation charge. Dunno....

I will adjust my charger output voltage to 58.4.......
Ronno6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 07:12 AM   #14
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat911 View Post
............Really Tom, you're splitting hairs over 3% in a LiFePO4 voltage vs SOC discussion Seriously though, the amount of torque on the 32 individual cell bolts will have a greater affect on voltage, especially under load, than a 3%, or even 10% change in SOC between about 10% and 90% charge.
I know, I know.... I tend to get carried away!

My personal experience is very narrow, but I don't even look at voltage any more. My Ah usage has decreased in the past several months probably due to warmer weather.

Typical routes have been as low as 1.35 Ah per mile for a 20 mile run at low average speeds. In the cooler weather I was seeing 1.44 to 1.6 Ah per mile.

I don't even know what my voltage was at the end.
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 08:25 AM   #15
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

With LiFePO4, using Ah/mile is far better than looking at voltage. Once you know your range, you can be confident about when you need to charge. I recommend a speedometer / odometer for all Lithium carts. I have one on both of my carts and I use miles driven vs miles to go to determine when to charge. I do three rounds of golf along with driving to the club between charges on mine and that is about 21 miles driven based on my odometer. If I drive more on the road, I get poorer mileage due to higher average speeds though. I built my own speedometer but you can get a bike speedometer and mod it for carts easily. Mine uses the motor's speed sensor to measure motor rotations (4 pulses per rev).
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 02:53 PM   #16
WC53
Getting Wild
Club Car

Your voltage can start shooting up at the end if overcharging. It sounds like the bms is doing its job. Turn the charger down as others have said. Other strategies, send me the battery to test ;) will get it back to you within the year, haha
3.45-3.5
WC53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 01:51 PM   #17
Ronno6
Gone Wild

The fan of the BB supplied charger is always running if plugged into A.C.
I am not 100% positive as to the dynamic of coupling between the charger and the cells.
As there is voltage being shown on the battery readout, I would have to believe that the charger is still trying to charge. Gotta be the BMS that prevents overcharging...

It is interesting to note that adjusting the pot on the charger didn't seem to really alter the voltage on the battery readout..... I had to unplug the charger from the battery and measure the output voltage at the connector with a DVM........
Anyway, it is now set to 58.4. We'll see what happens when I charge the next time.
Old 06-04-2022, 01:55 PM   #18
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

With the charger plugged into the battery, it's always going to read battery voltage. You are correct to unplug the charger and measure it's voltage to set the final charge voltage.
Old 06-04-2022, 05:58 PM   #19
Ronno6
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
With the charger plugged into the battery, it's always going to read battery voltage. You are correct to unplug the charger and measure it's voltage to set the final charge voltage.
Even with the battery switched off??
Old 06-04-2022, 07:12 PM   #20
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Not sure what you mean by battery switched off. It's not connected to the battery if switching it off disconnects it.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car