lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-01-2022, 04:42 AM   #11
Tcarlquist
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 98 EZGO will turn over but not crank, unless...

Okay thank you. I will look into RedHawk, as the white wire came out of the box (not plug side).

going to look at the diagrams in the manual and make sure my wires are in good shape and connected well. Ill report back and maybe some pics after.

also, just so I understand, are you saying that the starter/generator should turn over without the Ignitor even installed? if that's the case it should still be turning over. it never had a problem turning over before with the old ignitor in, only intermittent cranking was the problem. All I did was replace the broken ignitor with the new one, and it now does nothing.? I'll report back after more inspection.
Tcarlquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-01-2022, 07:52 AM   #12
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Do you have any pictures?

Also certainly possibly you knocked the activation wire off of the solenoid while messing with the ignitor. This causing it to stop turning over. And dirt gets in there too because there’s no weatherproof connector there. Just a spade terminal sliding over a tab on the solenoid.
That pretty much sums it up. If you have been fiddling around down there then either the blue wire on the solenoid has knocked off or maybe the black wire from solenoid to ground has broken off.

If all seems to be connected, let us know and we can talk you through a few simple tests relating to CP241's previous post.
Cartmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 08:09 AM   #13
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcarlquist View Post
Okay thank you. I will look into RedHawk, as the white wire came out of the box (not plug side).

going to look at the diagrams in the manual and make sure my wires are in good shape and connected well. Ill report back and maybe some pics after.
Here is how to test things. My tests are with an engine out of the cart.

If you check yours make you might want to eliminate the micro switch under floor mat.
I just use a jumper wire connected to the positive battery cable and connect other end where you would remove the blue wire going to small terminal on solenoid.
This under the mat micro switch have fooled us all because they could short out from water in the box and cause false reading. Rare but it can happen.
Now for how I did it with my engine sitting on the table.

If you remove both the red and white wire at coil and spin the engine over you white wire will be hot, not the red. Put both wires back on coil and spin engine over . Put the test light on the white wire first and it will light the test light. Put it on your red wire when spinning it over. If your ignitor is working the red wire will flash , not like the white wire which will remain a steady light. You will see the difference in how the test light flashes if yours is working.

Now you have to check the ground wires good . Check the plate the ignitor is mounted to. That's where the ground cable coming from neg on battery should bolt on first. They get rusty over time and you loose ground. Make sure of that.

I have an engine mounted on a table at my shop. It is grounded good and fires great.

My shop engine runs great but if I pull the orange wire with white stripe coming from ignitor going to small terminal on solenoid . I then spin the engine over making sure I leave both red and white wires on coil neither will flash . They will both have power but they won't flash that test light because that orange wire with white strip is not plugged in. Make sure yours is connected tight.

My ignitor is OEM. The ones that are sold today from amazon and ebay are mostly junk. No new OEM's left. You find a used one from someone who maybe installed the predator engine and don't need it anymore. Just make sure its the OEM . They have KOKUSAN DENKI written on them with Made In Japan also on it.

There are ezgo dealers that sell the ones Cartmaster mentioned ( Red Hawk I think ) and I am told they work. I think the good ones are made in Taiwan, not China.

The ones from amazon have nothing written on them. I got a box full in my shop office. I just keep them to remind people what not to buy.

Here is another test you can do.
Use your DVOM setting the scale to AC volts and connect the leads to your pulser coil wires. The two wires coming from under fan cover. It should generate ac volts when spinning the engine over. . Normally under 1/2 volt. Just so you have voltage is about all you need to know. The manual doesn't mention that but I normally check.

Another test on the pulser is this.
Set your DVOM to ohms to the lowest scale. I set my cheap harbor freight DVOM to 200 and see if your ohm reading is between 19 and 21 for the Pre Mci engine. If so then you are good. They just don't bad very often.

Also if you are checking the MCI engine these values will be different on the pulser. MCI's should be between 433.5 - 586.5 ohms.

These tests I posted do not include checking the coil both primary and secondary and some more things that needs to be checked.
This info is in the manuals uploaded on this site Read these manuals before you start buying parts. Throwing bad cheap parts on one of these carts causes more problems. Good luck

Good luck.
trig123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 09:06 AM   #14
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Just to get things straight, I am assuming ignition tests cannot be performed at the moment due to the starter not turning the engine. Is this correct? If so we need to concentrate on the solenoid activation first. There may be nothing wrong with the new igniter, but we will not know until we can spin the engine. You have enough information here to get that done I think.
Old 06-01-2022, 09:23 AM   #15
Tcarlquist
Not Yet Wild

okay great write-up on the testing! So for some reason the starter is now turning over (it wasn't last night). I doubt its producing spark, didnt have time to check yet.
Old 06-01-2022, 10:15 AM   #16
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Looks like you may have either a bad ground somewhere or a bad connection somewhere in the solenoid activation circuit. This would maybe explain why the starter suddenly stopped working and then miraculously started again. I feel the need for cleaning up all grounds for starters, including removing the mounting plate for the solenoid, igniter and voltage regulator and cleaning up the contact surface with the frame. This is an important part of the vehicle grounding circuit. Remember, the ground connections back to the battery negative post is just as important as the positive side. An often overlooked part of these carts.
Old 06-01-2022, 11:03 AM   #17
Tcarlquist
Not Yet Wild

I will start there then with the cleaning. Thanks again for the direction.
Old 06-01-2022, 11:35 AM   #18
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
I will start there then with the cleaning. Thanks again for the direction.
Did you my PM ?
Old 06-01-2022, 05:09 PM   #19
Tcarlquist
Not Yet Wild

Not sure what you meant by the last question.?
Old 06-01-2022, 05:45 PM   #20
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Not sure what you meant by the last question.?
Check your inbox that is supplied here. PM =Personal Message
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO