lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-30-2022, 12:07 PM   #1
Eyball
Not Yet Wild

Default EZGO DCS battery options 36v

Well it’s time to replace my batteries and am having a hell of a time figuring out which route to go. I would love to upgrade at the same time. Maybe lithium or go to 48v but I’m not sure what the process is or the benefits. We use the cart at the campground and there is a good sized hill. I upgraded the controller to the 400a Alltrax XCT-48400 a couple seasons ago and that’s been working fine. The current batteries are just the Duracell ones and lasted 6 years but not even with a good charge it won’t go up the hill anymore. I found a set of crown batteries from a local shop for $840 cash and carry. That’s my cheapest option or I can drive up to NH and get the Trojan T-105’s for $1079 out the door. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I plan to keep the cart for at least another 4-5 years. Oh and it’s a 98 with 3” lift and 22” knobby tires. Stock motor as far as I know. Thanks!
Eyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-31-2022, 06:23 AM   #2
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO DCS battery options 36v

I have a set of Crown CR165's that are going on 3 years old and so far have given me good service. I would buy them again but the next time I would try to get the CR190's. The only reason I didn't get them this time is they weren't available due to supply chain issues. Trojans have had a long term reputation but have gotten a little pricy lately and I have heard they are now being made in Mexico. I'm kind of on the fence about lithium for a few reasons, price, availability and which brand to buy, there seem to be complaints about all of them. For golf carting I think the technology is still too new. I have thought about building a Nissan Leaf pack but here again availability. If you have a 4-5 year plan definitely go lead acid, if you need range and maintenance free go lithium and hope you can recover some of your money at resale. I would definitely upgrade to 48 volts for more speed and torque. You'll need a new 48 volt solenoid and possibly other parts depending on your model of cart. Your Alltrax controller will operate on 48 volts with a simple programming change. If you haven't already done so, #2 gauge battery cables are a must.
Capt. Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 06:29 AM   #3
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

Oh, and don't forget a new battery charger. I like the Lester Summit II that I currently have because it's programmable for a lot of different brand batteries. I had a DPI Accusense but found it didn't charge my Crown batteries adequately because there wasn't a charging profile specifically for CR165's. DPI told me to charge on Trojan profile.
Old 05-31-2022, 07:31 AM   #4
Eyball
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the info it’s very helpful. I’m leaning towards the 48v lead acid upgrade but still not sure based on not knowing how much stuff needs to be changed. I know I need a new solenoid and a new 48v charger. But what about other components like the F/R switch and will my motor handle the 48v? I know I can program my controller like you said and the 8v batteries will only be a little bit more cost. Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Lenny View Post
Oh, and don't forget a new battery charger. I like the Lester Summit II that I currently have because it's programmable for a lot of different brand batteries. I had a DPI Accusense but found it didn't charge my Crown batteries adequately because there wasn't a charging profile specifically for CR165's. DPI told me to charge on Trojan profile.
Old 05-31-2022, 08:12 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyball View Post
Thanks for the info it’s very helpful. I’m leaning towards the 48v lead acid upgrade but still not sure based on not knowing how much stuff needs to be changed. I know I need a new solenoid and a new 48v charger. But what about other components like the F/R switch and will my motor handle the 48v? I know I can program my controller like you said and the 8v batteries will only be a little bit more cost. Thanks again!
Hello, 48v produces more torque and speed. Just how well the DCS motor will do on is a big question. DCS was the worlds first SEPEX drive system and as such the motor should not like 48 volts. It should over react to the voltage increase and last a short while like it's successor PDS does.
Consider changing the motor to Admiral B4. You have the controller for it already. Is your solenoid 48v rated?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 08:48 AM   #6
Eyball
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Hello, 48v produces more torque and speed. Just how well the DCS motor will do on is a big question. DCS was the worlds first SEPEX drive system and as such the motor should not like 48 volts. It should over react to the voltage increase and last a short while like it's successor PDS does.
Consider changing the motor to Admiral B4. You have the controller for it already. Is your solenoid 48v rated?
No, I replaced the solenoid when I put the controller in so I know it’s just a 36v one. Sounds like if my motor would need replacing I might be better off sticking with 36v. Im trying not to invest more than $1000-1500 since it’s an older cart and I might sell it after my kids are done with it in 4-5 years. I definitely need batteries at a minimum since it does not go up the hill in them campground anymore. Do you think 3x 100ah Lithium would help with torque? I would love to not water my batts and get rid of the giant charger. 👍. Thanks for the assistance/advice!
Old 05-31-2022, 12:18 PM   #7
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

I think you’ll be well over your $1000-$1500 budget buying lithium batteries.
Old 05-31-2022, 12:31 PM   #8
Eyball
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Lenny View Post
I think you’ll be well over your $1000-$1500 budget buying lithium batteries.
Yeah I think your right! I was looking at running 3 in series and getting off Amazon but a little scared they won’t allow the amp draw. I like the idea of less weight and not having to water though. That being said I think an upgrade to 48v with new crown batts might be doable around $1500. Or maybe just slap new 6v crowns. My kids like to drive up the hill at camp otherwise I would have already just got new batts and been done with it. 🤔
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts