lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-17-2022, 10:59 PM   #1
nklein
Not Yet Wild

Question HF V-Twin build help

Hello all, I received a rolling chase of a 1998 Club car. I want to put in the Preditor V-Twin with the Vagas Cart kit. Before I get in too deep on this I wanted to know a few things from the group. First I'd like to know the quietest muffler that people have found. 2nd I'm looking for recommendations on a clutch for a Hilly area. Last but not least anyone have directions on how to get it to run with a generator so it starts and stops with the gas peddle? I can't seem to find much on this and I figured you all would be a great resource. Any help with this in advance would be greatly appreciated.
nklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-17-2022, 11:14 PM   #2
nklein
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: HF V-Twin build help

Also, does anyone know if another company makes the kit for the 440? Vegas carts aren't making the kit for 98 club car anymore.
Old 05-18-2022, 06:44 AM   #3
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

They still sell the parts just not a full kit. You would need a motor plate,a S/G mount and an exhaust header for a start along with a S/G pulley. It looks like the S/G mount and pulley are sold out at the moment. They stopped the kits because of fitment issues with the exhaust headers with all the different clones out there. And then there is the whole muffler issue with fitting something in there that is quiet enough. As far as using a S/ G with the 670 I don't thing there is a kit anywhere. BUT some fabricators have found the space for it and made it work.P.S. I seen elsewhere somebody ranting at Geoff about a shipping delay. Simple answer is with the carting season starting they are buried with orders and raw materials are tight.
raydhd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 07:43 AM   #4
nklein
Not Yet Wild

Question Re: HF V-Twin build help

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
They still sell the parts just not a full kit. You would need a motor plate,a S/G mount and an exhaust header for a start along with a S/G pulley. It looks like the S/G mount and pulley are sold out at the moment. They stopped the kits because of fitment issues with the exhaust headers with all the different clones out there. And then there is the whole muffler issue with fitting something in there that is quiet enough. As far as using a S/ G with the 670 I don't thing there is a kit anywhere. BUT some fabricators have found the space for it and made it work.P.S. I seen elsewhere somebody ranting at Geoff about a shipping delay. Simple answer is with the carting season starting they are buried with orders and raw materials are tight.
Thank you for the info. This will be my first build ever, with that being said what direction do you think I should go for a good level of success with not a bunch of frustration? The biggest thing I want out of the cart is torque as I have large hills to climb. I also would like to keep it a bit quieter if at all possible but I guess isn't as important as being able to climb while towing or four passangers.
Old 05-18-2022, 08:04 AM   #5
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

VC current favorite is the HF670 Vtwin. 2 Things there are the cart has to be raised and the S/G won't be used. Using a single cylinder clone the cart doesn't have to be raised and you can use the S/G. BUT with the current situation you are more on your own with fitment with the single cylinder clone. Again there is a ton of speed equipment for the single and very limited for the twin. The same situation with spare parts. Last but not least the Vtwin swap is more expensive. Not a simple answer but food for thought. Either engine compared to a stocker there is night and day difference in the power department.
Old 05-18-2022, 09:19 AM   #6
nklein
Not Yet Wild

Question Re: HF V-Twin build help

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
VC current favorite is the HF670 Vtwin. 2 Things there are the cart has to be raised and the S/G won't be used. Using a single cylinder clone the cart doesn't have to be raised and you can use the S/G. BUT with the current situation you are more on your own with fitment with the single cylinder clone. Again there is a ton of speed equipment for the single and very limited for the twin. The same situation with spare parts. Last but not least the Vtwin swap is more expensive. Not a simple answer but food for thought. Either engine compared to a stocker there is a night and day difference in the power department.
So what your saying is a single-cylinder might be a bit tougher to do but way more worth it in the long run. This will be due to more parts available, being able to achieve what I'm looking for, better torque for climbing, and not as loud. So the cart I have was stripped of all mechanicals including the engine mount. If you have a guide on this or know where there is one I would appreciate it. Also for the single-cylinder is it best to stick with the HF420-460 or is there a more preferred motor?
Old 05-18-2022, 10:00 AM   #7
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I was really hot on the new HF 459 with its dual oiling system and small chamber hemi head with big valves. Again the block is the beefiest single cylinder out there. BUT Geoff at VC has not gotten the billet rod in production for the engine. He claims he is so buried with other orders that he has no time line for its release. IF you are going to run the engine governed that would still be my pick. BUT if you are going to run ungoverned I would not use a clone without a billet connecting rod. VC has the step by step installation manual for your cart in its archive. P.S I am not sure the single cylinder is as quiet as the Vtwin
Old 05-18-2022, 10:39 AM   #8
nklein
Not Yet Wild

Perfect, any chance you know if anyone has done air ride on a cart and if it was worth it? Thinking it would be kind of cool to do if the price is right.
Old 05-19-2022, 09:10 PM   #9
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I've used both clones and Vtwins, including the HF670. I can tell you for sure, the same cart with the same muffler, the HF670 is quieter than a clone, unless the clone has the stock muffler on it. Single cylinder 440 has a bigger piston than the Vtwin, which makes a bigger sound. Yes the Vtwin has two pistons, but they are smaller and make less noise. Also the valvetrain is less "chattery" than the clones, especially a built clone, and the Vtwin is much much smoother.

Yes, you need a lift to use the HF670 (most likely), although I've seen some guys use the Vanguard 16hp 479 Vtwin in a non lifted cart, so that is possible.

I don't dislike single cylinder clones, but once you add a high comp piston and big cam, and header pipe, they really get a little noisy, much louder than stock. That's when I don't care for them. Vtwins are much less noisy.

Putting a quiet muffler on a performance engine usually kills the power, so might as well just leave the stock muffler that comes on the engine. I've used a Duromax 440 with the stock muffler and no mods, and it was pretty dang quiet, and would go 30 mph in a hurry. It was quiet enough to run at a campground without annoying anyone. Louder than a stock cart, yes, but fairly quite IMO.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 09:21 AM   #10
kellett5261
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

if your gonna do it just go with the HF motor. Mine is on a Ezgo ST with 6" Jakes LongArm kit, on 22" M/T's and I run 39 mph with 6:1 CPP speed gears. "IF" you had issues you can just drain the fuel and return the motor and get a new one the same day . Not knocking VC motor you'll be very happy with the V-twin torque
kellett5261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!