lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-07-2022, 11:56 AM   #1
ccypher0809
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

Default gas 1995 Columbia Parcar not accelerating needs choke to run

Hi Folks,
I just came into a 1995 columbia par car gas and it's having some issues when trying to run it you almost have to pull the choke in and out a few times to get it going each time you try to give it some gas and then have to fiddle with the choke to keep it running well. The guy I got it from said he'd replaced the carburetor so I'm not sure if I just need to adjust something there. I know that it also doesn't have the oil tank anymore (apparently that was removed by a previous owner) so I have to mix the gas and he said that he would use a 32:1 mix in winter and 40:1 in summer. If there's more info that would help diagnose the issue. I'm not great with small engine stuff so any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Corey
ccypher0809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-07-2022, 12:21 PM   #2
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Re: gas 1995 Columbia Parcar not accelerating needs choke to run

1995s are right around the time when Columbia migrated to a 4 stroke engine rather than a 2. I am not what you have in your cart.

You are having a fuel draw issue for sure. Check out the "Fuel Draw" sticky on top of the Harley Davidson sub-forum. There's a lot of information there about fuel draw causes and fixes.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 10:48 AM   #3
ccypher0809
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

Thanks,
I took a look at that thread on fuel draw issues and I've poked around the engine a bit. I know the guy I bought if from said he put on a new carb and it looks like that might be the issue. It looks like the fuel line going into it is wet and leaking. I'm thinking I just might need to replace the line and possibly adjust the carb. Also looks like the choke cable is only held on by a few strands of the cable. I've got a picture to attach, but I guess I have to be a forum member for at lease a week before I can post a link properly.
ccypher0809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 11:47 PM   #4
73eldo
Gone Wild
Harley Davidson

If its a 2 stroke having to run with the choke is a common sign of failing crank seals.
73eldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 01:06 PM   #5
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Ya know, I am in the middle of restoring a 1983 Columbia and just put a China carb on it. I did the crank seals, did new head and base gaskets, replaced all of the carb / reed gaskets, and tightened everything to spec. The cart would run but only when choked a bit. As China carbs are crap quality I tried a different one. Same thing. I rechecked all of my new seals and gaskets and am very confident that they are all as they should be. Compression is 95 psi and will hold indefinitely when the engine isn't running. I am pretty sure I don't have any air leaks that would kill fuel draw. I even adjusted the float bowl up some with still no success.

I ended up adjusting my choke cable just a bit to allow the choke to remain "on" slightly even though the choke cable is showing off. By just a bit I mean the cart is maybe 10 - 20% choked all of the time. The cart is humming away as it should with this configuration with no backfires or anything like that.

At least in my case, I am pretty sure that the China carbs just aren't up to snuff and you have to monkey with them just a bit to get them right. I have no way to know for sure though because you really can't get American carbs for these carts anymore.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
choke, columbia, gas
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar