lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-11-2020, 12:01 PM   #1
Ziggymon
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Tracker EV 4 x 4 Switch??

Hey all. I'm new to the buggies gone wild forum, so please don't bust my balls too bad for my ignorance. I just purchased a 2021 Tracker EV IS. Not sure it was the best thing for my purpose after running it for a couple days. It DOES run very nice. Smooth, quite, good power, speed and turning radius. But there is one major issue. When going up a steep dirt hill the front wheels tend to spin freely causing loss of steering control. It really does need a 4 x 4 switch to disengage the front wheels when not needed. I would also think this would increase the range. I called the customer help line to see if this was an option, but they just said no and they would advise against unplugging the front motor. Has anyone successfully installed a switch or unplugged the front motor? Any information on this would be greatly appreciated.
Ziggymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-14-2020, 03:57 PM   #2
Ziggymon
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Tracker EV 4 x 4 Switch??

Anyone have any experience with this? As I'm sure you know the Tracker EV evolved from the Textron Prowler and Bad Boy Buggy. So, any experience with the previous versions should be very similar if not exact.
Old 12-14-2020, 04:24 PM   #3
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

You might be able to cut power to the front controller but not sure how it would behave.
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 04:43 PM   #4
Ziggymon
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for your reply kgsc. That sounds logical, but I don't know if I'm ready to try that on a brand new Cart and risk loosing the warranty without being reasonable certain it will work without frying something in the process! Was really looking for someone who has tried it already. BTW, I went to high school in Chapin, SC! My best friend was from Aiken. We lived on Lake Murray. God's country for sure!!!
Old 12-15-2020, 04:50 PM   #5
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

We have a place on greenwood so close.. Someone else may come along that can answer better
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 11:54 PM   #6
onewheelcop
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggymon View Post
Hey all. I'm new to the buggies gone wild forum, so please don't bust my balls too bad for my ignorance. I just purchased a 2021 Tracker EV IS. Not sure it was the best thing for my purpose after running it for a couple days. It DOES run very nice. Smooth, quite, good power, speed and turning radius. But there is one major issue. When going up a steep dirt hill the front wheels tend to spin freely causing loss of steering control. It really does need a 4 x 4 switch to disengage the front wheels when not needed. I would also think this would increase the range. I called the customer help line to see if this was an option, but they just said no and they would advise against unplugging the front motor. Has anyone successfully installed a switch or unplugged the front motor? Any information on this would be greatly appreciated.
I am going to try this. I have programmed my 2018 Prowler EV to run 35mph, so I am somewhat familiar with the workings of the twin controllers. These two controllers ARE LINKED together! So I don’t believe yo can simply cut power to one of the controllers. However, I do think there is a possibility I can trace down a signal wire that tells the front solenoid to deliver power to the front motor.
This shouldn’t hinder either controller from communicating with each other, only blocks power to the micro switch that would trip the front solenoid into transferring power to the front motor. That wire would be tapped into, and ran to a simple “AWD” switch on the dash! This seems feasible, and I can’t see any issues with this, other than possibly having to remove the entelabrake plunger from the front differential. This would all be tried on on jackstands with zero load on the motors at first, to prevent “hopefully “ any catastrophic damages, as I have just had on my rear diff.
Here is a video of what I have been dealing with lately. Lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upRT...0dHVD8KM2FblQ9
onewheelcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 11:53 AM   #7
TheCartBoy
WARRANTY VOID

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewheelcop View Post
I am going to try this. I have programmed my 2018 Prowler EV to run 35mph, so I am somewhat familiar with the workings of the twin controllers. These two controllers ARE LINKED together! So I don’t believe yo can simply cut power to one of the controllers. However, I do think there is a possibility I can trace down a signal wire that tells the front solenoid to deliver power to the front motor.
This shouldn’t hinder either controller from communicating with each other, only blocks power to the micro switch that would trip the front solenoid into transferring power to the front motor. That wire would be tapped into, and ran to a simple “AWD” switch on the dash! This seems feasible, and I can’t see any issues with this, other than possibly having to remove the entelabrake plunger from the front differential. This would all be tried on on jackstands with zero load on the motors at first, to prevent “hopefully “ any catastrophic damages, as I have just had on my rear diff.
Here is a video of what I have been dealing with lately. Lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upRT...0dHVD8KM2FblQ9
I have a feeling if you cut power to the solenoid, the controller is going to have a 'main did not close' fault. The controllers talk to each other via CAN bus, and the 2nd controller is going to shutdown with a 'fault on other controller' message. Easy enough to try, let us know what you see!
TheCartBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts