lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center
Design Center Shop tools, fabrication and Paint and Body

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-20-2020, 04:54 PM   #1
Noonan
Gone Wild
Club Car

Arrow Best type of blade for cutting aluminum pipe

Tile pretty much says it all. I've ok so far with a sawzall for straight cuts, but I was hoping to find a blade that would fit my 10" miter saw to help with the angled cuts.
Anyone have any suggestions. I'm open to anything, hopefully before I use up all my material
Noonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-20-2020, 05:25 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Best type of blade for cutting aluminum pipe

For a radial type saw. The exact answer depends upon the diameter and rpm. But basically you want carbide teeth and lots of them.
And for God's sake be freking careful. If the pipe moves at all you will regret ever trying to cut it in this saw.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 06:09 PM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Cutting aluminum is tricky. If it gets too hot it will melt and grab the blade. Most saws like this has oil to cool the blade. Recip is good, but make sure you use good quality 16t or 14t blades. Its nearly impossible to get perfect cuts with a recip saw. There are abrasive blades made for aluminum, but the chop saw you use must run slowly as to not build up heat.

My favorite way of cutting all kinds of kinds of pipe and rod is the bandsaw. I have one that uses gravity so you set your material in the clamp vise, turn on the saw, lower the saw, walk away....when the cut is made, the saw turns off. Come back, repeat. Fine tool.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 06:52 PM   #4
Noonan
Gone Wild
Club Car

OK, it looks like I've once again picked another doozy of a first-time project. I will keep this advice in mind. After using a jig with a whole saw last night to try to notch the ends, I was planning to find a way to add water to cool while I cut. Is this a worthwhile endeavor or am just going to get wet while still doing it wrong?
Old 11-20-2020, 08:21 PM   #5
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

hold it tight , fine tooth blade , dont force it and a spray bottle you will be fine .
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 09:19 PM   #6
Noonan
Gone Wild
Club Car

Cool, I think I found a decent band saw locally I think I'll give that and the water a try.
Old 11-21-2020, 01:49 PM   #7
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

A rip blade will cut the aluminum pipe with ease. No need for a fine tooth or anything of the like. Its noisy as hell but cuts very well.

From 1978-1979, I worked inside the Mobile Launcher at KCS during the conversion for the Space Shuttle three exhaust holes from the Saturn single exhaust hole, making all of the required aluminum cable tray fittings from scratch for over a quarter mile of 24" cable tray installed within. I used a skill saw and rip blade for every cut made.
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 06:38 AM   #8
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

Okay so I'm a little late posting this. I have successfully and safely cut 3/8"-1/2" thick aluminum for a boat lift on my 10" table saw using the blade pictures. It has 60 teeth and they're on a different angle than what is used on a standard wood blade. Gave me a smooth cut and I didn't have to use water. Hope this helps somebody out!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6471.jpg (75.4 KB, 0 views)
Capt. Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center