lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-09-2020, 08:48 AM   #1
Finn5033
Not Yet Wild

Default Harley MGIV to keep or not to keep?

Hello all. I recently picked up a Harley MGIV 36v. It is in really nice shape, I got it for $275 and it even came with the charger. I was told it just needed tires and batteries. I'll be honest I bought it with the intention of putting three 12v deep cycle marine batteries in it. I did this with a previous 48v club car that I had and it worked great for what it was used for. Yes I understand the difference between using six 6v and three 12v batteries so please skip the comments on that. Anyways, I did not know that the old carts had completely different drive systems than the newer ones with solid state.

So which brings me to the reason I am here. I have already researched getting the conversion kit from carts unlimited. I'm looking at $850 plus cost of batteries, new wiring, new tires etc. I figure it will cost me about $1,600 to convert it, get new batteries and tires. So I'll have roughly 2k into it once done. My question is if it's worth it? Or would I be better off, putting new tires on it, dropping 6 new 6v batteries into it and selling it? And if so what can I expect to sell it for? My use for the cart is putzing around the yard and neighborhood. Bring it to campgrounds a couple times a year. And maybe the occasional round of golf. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thank you, I attached the only picture I have of it right now. I'll try and get some more on later today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 610918D9-CD49-4AD1-A9C0-4D9D7A8DF129.jpg (19.0 KB, 0 views)
Finn5033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-09-2020, 11:30 AM   #2
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Default Re: Harley MGIV to keep or not to keep?

Cool cart.

Since you got it for so cheap, to me it would definitely be worth it. But I am a little partial to these old Harleys.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 07:17 PM   #3
Finn5033
Not Yet Wild

Well I got brand new tires and rims on it and 6 brand new 6v Duracell golf cart batteries. Everything seems to be wired correctly, I’m reading 18v on both banks and 37v both banks combined. I will admit it seems to run correctly but is really gutless. Also my battery gauge is blinking on Reserve warning and 3/4 full. Not sure what that means. Are these things pretty gutless, or could there be something wrong?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 5EB5BD34-F13E-4D76-928A-239C520CE2EA.jpeg (110.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-10-2020, 07:27 PM   #4
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn5033 View Post
Well I got brand new tires and rims on it and 6 brand new 6v Duracell golf cart batteries. Everything seems to be wired correctly, I’m reading 18v on both banks and 37v both banks combined. I will admit it seems to run correctly but is really gutless. Also my battery gauge is blinking on Reserve warning and 3/4 full. Not sure what that means. Are these things pretty gutless, or could there be something wrong?
Glad you got it going! New batteries need to be broken in to achieve full strength. You will see an increase in both speed and range once they're properly broken in. See here for details: https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/atta...2&d=1289853436

As far as being gutless, that's just the nature of series carts, nothing to do with these carts exclusively. They only do about 12 mph on the flat and even slower uphill.

As far as the battery meter goes, you've got an old school bar style one, which are inaccurate. Consider installing one of these, which reads actual pack voltage: https://www.cartsunlimited.net/battery-meters.html
Old 06-10-2020, 07:41 PM   #5
Finn5033
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesnake27 View Post
Glad you got it going! New batteries need to be broken in to achieve full strength. You will see an increase in both speed and range once they're properly broken in. See here for details: https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/atta...2&d=1289853436

As far as being gutless, that's just the nature of series carts, nothing to do with these carts exclusively. They only do about 12 mph on the flat and even slower uphill.

As far as the battery meter goes, you've got an old school bar style one, which are inaccurate. Consider installing one of these, which reads actual pack voltage: https://www.cartsunlimited.net/battery-meters.html
Thanks a lot Jake. I’ll get a new battery meter and break these batteries in. I haven’t cleaned it up yet, I wanted to makes sure it worked first. I’ll get it cleaned up and get some pictures up.

I read through that battery break in article. My charger is not automatic, how do I know how long to charge it?
Old 06-10-2020, 08:54 PM   #6
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn5033 View Post
Thanks a lot Jake. I’ll get a new battery meter and break these batteries in. I haven’t cleaned it up yet, I wanted to makes sure it worked first. I’ll get it cleaned up and get some pictures up.

I read through that battery break in article. My charger is not automatic, how do I know how long to charge it?
It's always a bit of a guessing game with the manual chargers. At 50% SOC, charge them for the full 12 hours. Adjust accordingly for higher SOCs (i.e. 6 hours for 75% SOC). Here is a handy chart: https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/atta...9&d=1504005734
Old 06-11-2020, 08:31 AM   #7
Finn5033
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesnake27 View Post
It's always a bit of a guessing game with the manual chargers. At 50% SOC, charge them for the full 12 hours. Adjust accordingly for higher SOCs (i.e. 6 hours for 75% SOC). Here is a handy chart: https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/atta...9&d=1504005734
You are the man, thanks again
Old 06-11-2020, 08:33 AM   #8
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

No problem, have fun with the cart and enjoy!
Old 06-12-2020, 11:45 AM   #9
Finn5033
Not Yet Wild

Well Jake after driving the cart around a bunch last night I think I’m going to sell it. It’s cool, and it does cruise nicely on flat ground like you said. Unfortunately I have a lot of hills on my property and in the neighborhood so it’s not going to work well the way it is. I could convert it but I also want to put the fold down seat on the back and it’s in such nice shape I hate to cut it up.

Anyways I’d like to sell it as is but I have no idea what a reasonable price is to ask for it. I’d like to get no less than $1,600 or so and I feel that’s a good price with brand new batteries and tires and the overall condition of the cart. But if I can’t get that I’ll just sell it with no batteries and keep the new wheels and tires. Let me know what you think about a fair price. Thanks as always
Old 06-13-2020, 02:40 PM   #10
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

I totally understand your decision, you have to have a cart that fits your needs.

Since you just put new batteries in it and it’s in great shape, I would put it up for sale with a price of $2,000 obo. I think you should be able to get $1,600 rather easily. Now is the time when people are buying carts, so hopefully it won’t take you long to unload it.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Harley Davidson