lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Diesel swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-25-2019, 08:45 AM   #11
GodDogGod
Not Yet Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Kubota D782 swap

Yes, drive is running off of a splined shaft. Because this mower is 4wd/awd and uses the worst design Kubota has ever come up with to accomplish this, <hydrostatic>
Basically the rear drivetrain, fails, if you pay to have it replaced, it's $3600 at any Kubota service department. On the statement of work they state, "may not fix the issue". If I pay $3600 for something, it better work forever! Sorry, my rant is over...

Ok, looks like I am going to have to figure out the dimensions of the flywheel on both the D722 and D782 engines. My understanding is that they are supposed to be within the same family and parts should be interchangeable.

I'm located in Decatur. Are you aware of any cart boneyards in the DFW area?

I may have to reach out to your guy that can machine some parts if I can't get this figured out. Trial and error seems to be the only way I learn.

Thank you again and I will keep everyone posted with the progress or lack thereof.
GodDogGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-25-2019, 10:51 AM   #12
izzybird
Gone Wild

Taylor-Dunn

Going back and looking at your original pics, I don’t see why you can’t make a adapter plate to go from the diesel flywheel to the current clutch setup on your cart or whatever clutch you end up using. You can see the basic adapter I made to accept a splined driveshaft, the other pic is the clutch that was originally on this motor. A business that repairs reefer units should have all manner of these laying around if you need to look at that route. The guy in the thread that was linked earlier seems to have mated that utv clutch no problem, should be pretty easy. Fitting it in there may be a bigger issue. My engine stands right at 2’ tall with the industrial oil pan. I believe I misquoted the bolt pattern on the flywheel earlier, I think it is 5.5” diameter.
Edit: I just love upside down pics..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F3409AF1-BC93-4F85-B6C3-C943D5826930.jpg (146.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg A95ABA2B-1801-4E6C-937B-639B53C7D0B3.jpg (183.9 KB, 0 views)
izzybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 11:13 AM   #13
rib33024

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzybird View Post
Dang, he put a lot of work in to that. I wonder if it is up and running yet? Good example of someone with some sense and access to quality tools.
Life got in the way. Not sure if he has had time to finish it
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 09:42 AM   #14
GodDogGod
Not Yet Wild

Mixed Breed

Work has gotten in the way... have to pay the bills somehow.

izzybird, my engine is just under 2' from top to bottom of oil pan. Looks like it is going to be a tight fit, but should be able to make it work.

I have been looking all over the place trying to find a golf cart or even utv boneyard from which I can grab parts as needed. I am coming up with a whole lotta nothing!

I spoke with my guy at Kubota just around the corner from me, he says the adapter for the flywheel that works on the D722 will also work on the D782 (my engine). I think it's $55 bux w/out shipping. It would probably cost me more to have one fab'd.

Next question... anyone have any idea what model of clutch this is on my cart? Is there some sort of way to identify it that I am unaware of? There are no markings,stickers, stamped numbers, etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kubota-d782e2b-diesel-engine-service-repair-manual-20-1024.jpg (70.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2-20665.jpg (73.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2-20666.jpg (211.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-06-2019, 02:16 PM   #15
GodDogGod
Not Yet Wild

Mixed Breed

Found out the make of the CVT -- CVTech, no clue what the model is, but the driver and driven total just under a $1000 new.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:09 AM   #16
GodDogGod
Not Yet Wild

Mixed Breed

Ok guys quick update.

I was finally able to get out of the planning stages and into some actual work. It's hotter than the depths of hell here in Texas as usual...

I have removed the original 9.5hp Kohler engine from the cart.
I have removed the Kubota D782 from the lawn tractor.

I am now working on motor mounts in the cart. Looks like I am a few inches short on the Kubota fitting the original mounts in the cart. So I will have to fab something up. Shouldn't be that big of a deal.

I ordered some parts, mainly the CVT adapter, I ordered these on 8/8 and they will not be delivered until tomorrow 8/23. I realize this is not Amazon Prime, but DANG, 12 working days to ship a couple bolts/washers/& the CVT adapter!

I will post further updates soon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-0640.jpg (250.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-0633.jpg (194.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-0646.jpg (164.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-25-2019, 11:55 AM   #17
GodDogGod
Not Yet Wild

Mixed Breed

**Update**

I got the rear end removed from the cart so I can more easily mock up motor mounts.
760DD36B-0F17-457E-B1B4-03622A2957D4.jpg

The CVT adapter I ordered will not work, so I’ve been looking around and found Hayes will custom make one just for your application. Not sure of the cost on this, but will update once I get it figured out for others benefit.
Old 09-03-2019, 07:46 AM   #18
GodDogGod
Not Yet Wild

Mixed Breed

Got the CVT adapter back from the machine shop, works perfectly.
IMG-0773.jpg

Looks like everything lines up, driver to driven.
IMG-0752.jpg

I got the motor mounts figured out, since it seems to be like pulling teeth to get anyone's advice or help around these parts. Must be like high school, I am in the wrong clique.
IMG-0770.jpg

IMG-0772.jpg

I'm hoping this information helps someone else with their build.
Old 09-03-2019, 08:33 AM   #19
izzybird
Gone Wild

Taylor-Dunn

Have you figured out where you are going to put the radiator? The biggest issue I had with the diesel on my boat was the noise. I ended up running a exhaust stack about 7’ up and used some leftover sound deadening mat on the inside of the box I built to enclose the engine. The rattle of that old kubota was cool for a while, but it quickly grew tiresome. This thing will be a beast when you’re done, those engines are torque monsters for their size.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:06 AM   #20
izzybird
Gone Wild

Taylor-Dunn

I used these for my engine mounts, df-100 marine mounts. You’re probably gonna want isolated mounts or you’re going to feel that diesel deep in your bones. Is cutting the mounts off the mower and utilizing them on the cart not an option? I would rob everything I could from the mower. Air cleaner, motor mounts, radiator mounts, fuel/water separator, etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 33C4A5B1-4728-40B6-BCDB-DE8FA259BFBE.jpeg (76.8 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Diesel swaps