lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-12-2018, 08:56 AM   #1
PuttPutt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default OBC self Diagnostic program

Cart in question is a 2000 cc series. Cart not charging. I found the fuse in the gray sense wire failed so replaced it. When the DC cord is plugged in, charger clicks, comes on but never drops bake to zero amps. Does the failure to run the diagnostic program mean the OBC is bad? Also owner states batteries died sitting in garage with charger plugged in. blown fuse explains that.
PuttPutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-12-2018, 09:23 AM   #2
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Default Re: OBC self Diagnostic program

If the charger turns on immediately when the plug is inserted, the OBC is bad. It's stuck in the charge position and will never turn off.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 10:26 AM   #3
PuttPutt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

There is a 5-10 second delay after plugging in the DC cord then charger comes on. It didn't go through the on-off-on routine just came on after the 5-10 second delay and stayed on. I'll do a reset.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:56 AM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

That would be normal behaviour (self diagnostic does not run) if the cart has not been driven since last time You unplugged the charger from the cart .

You should always check the suppression diode on the charger relay anytime the 3/8 amp sense fuse is blown since that is the most normal cause and it can eventually damage the OBC.

What do You mean by "it never drops back to zero", Did the charger run more than 16 hours?
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 11:45 AM   #5
PuttPutt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the information. My comment about going to zero was in reference to the startup routine on-off (zero amps)-on. I did the reset and it seems to be operating fine it did everythnig as expected when I plugged in the DC cord.

"check the suppression diode" just to confirm the picture attached is what you are talking about?

should i unplug the charger and check that before charging?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg supdiode.jpg (17.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-12-2018, 11:53 AM   #6
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

No, those are the rectifier diodes.

The "suppression diode" or Fly-back diode is in parallel with the charger relay coil.

You can remove the 2 smaller 3/16" quick connectors from the charger relay and to a "diode test" on those wires.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:18 PM   #7
PuttPutt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I'll let finish the charge cycle then test the diode. I'll let you know what I find.

Thanks
Old 06-12-2018, 05:43 PM   #8
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

I'll add more to what Sergio mentioned about the self-diagnostic. It all has a lot to do with the version of the OBC that's on the cart too. If you've got the original beige colored OBC then it should do a self reset unless it hasn't been driven. If it's ever been changed and it has the newer grey OBC you may never see it do a self diagnostic cycle. Depends on how closely you watch it. The new ones cycle on and off throughout the entire charge cycle instead of just once at the beginning.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 11:15 AM   #9
PuttPutt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Tahoe and Sergio the depth of knowledge you have is impressive, thanks for helping all us shade tree sparkeys.

The suppression diode seems to be bad OL both direction and no continuity both directions. I even cut the shrink tube off to expose the diode. to be sure. I guess we should check that diode once in a while to be sure it is ok.
Can I replace the diode with 10k 1 watt resistor like is used in the interlock explained in the obc bypass sticky?

I unplugged the charger yesterday when I had to leave. Voltage had gone up to 57.7 volts then 2 1/2 hours later it had dropped to 57.5 and was still at 57.5 an 1 1/2 hours later when I unplugged it. So Four hours at 57.5 volts Amp meter was at 5 amps with no change. Took the cart out and drove it up our street a pretty good hill voltage droped 7.2 volts driving up the hill. This morning the voltage reads 50 volts. The battery pack is US Battery date stamp K2X a little old. I think I'll take th grand kids for a ride in it and see how long the pack lasts before the voltage drops below 50%.

Another piece of information, the pack was dead the first time I looked at it at the owners house, yep another neighbor, life on the golf course. Problem was the GFI tripped so no power to the charger. Reset the GFI pack charged up. They started using the cart. They called me back a day later and said the cart is dead. I'm guessing that's when it blew the sense wire fuse. I charged the pack with an old charger I have with the relay bypassed I unplugged it at 58.6 volts and drove it to my house.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:25 PM   #10
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

That little charger diode that costs 5 cents can take down the OBC if not replaced.

Just use a 1N4007 diode, You can get a life time supply from amazon for under $6 and get it by Friday:
https://www.amazon.com/McIgIcM-1N400...dp/B071DXGHL7/
They are handy to keep at home since they will work for all those types of relays as well as the 12v bosch type relays.

Make sure you get the polarity correct, the side with the band goes towards the positive wire that comes from the heat-sink or bridge rectifier.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car