lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-26-2018, 10:50 AM   #1
ckemery
Not Yet Wild

Default Over-charging Battery

1973 D model Harley golf cart- 2 stroke

Has anyone experienced this...... Checking voltage @ battery and accelerating, I am getting up to 18 volts!

I changed voltage regulators (new), TWICE! (two new)- same problem. I have two starter generators and changed them out with no difference. I believe the regulator is wired correctly....... DF to DF, D+ & D- go to A1 & A2 on starter.

The regulator states "do not ground DF". When everything is connected, I have continuity between DF and the frame (????). Its a short length wire and there is no chafing for a short in line (examined very close). Remember, I have tried both of my good starters, and two voltage regulators (new). Any help is greatly appreciated!
ckemery is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-26-2018, 12:28 PM   #2
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Re: Over-charging Battery

If you are using an OEM voltage regulator then you can adjust the output. Open the VR up and you'll see an adjustment screw inside. Counterclockwise will reduce the amount voltage coming out of that bugger.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 01:02 PM   #3
ckemery
Not Yet Wild

I know "Hitachi" style regulators have adjustment, but mine are "Bosch" style. Do the Bosch style regulators have adjustment? I have looked but do not see any adjustment screw, maybe overlooking.......
ckemery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 04:23 PM   #4
AKAMick
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Sounds like a grounded field eliminating the regulator and causing the generator to put out its maximum charge,
AKAMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 06:19 PM   #5
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckemery View Post
I know "Hitachi" style regulators have adjustment, but mine are "Bosch" style. Do the Bosch style regulators have adjustment? I have looked but do not see any adjustment screw, maybe overlooking.......
You can put a hitachi on there if you want. VRs are pretty much interchangeable.
Old 04-22-2022, 11:04 PM   #6
andyglines
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAMick View Post
Sounds like a grounded field eliminating the regulator and causing the generator to put out its maximum charge,
I think that the same thing is going on with my cart. How do I correct this? The wire on the DF terminsl of the starter also gets very hot until the voltage regulator fails. Can/should I run a wire directly from the DF terminal on the starter to the F terminal on the regulator?
andyglines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 08:11 AM   #7
Lochlin
Gone Wild

I think you want to test how much voltage you have going to back to your battery when your cart is revving up. Jack the back of your cart up, or remove the belt, and rev things up. Test voltage at your battery. You should be at 14v or so. A bit more is fine but not too much more. As the posts says, if you have an original style VR simply adjust it down by way of the adjustment screw. If that doesn't work then you probably have a bad VR.

If you think that there is something wrong with your generator then take it to an alternator shop. They will be able to test and fix it.
Old 04-25-2022, 11:01 AM   #8
andyglines
Not Yet Wild

It is charging at 18V or more. The wire going from DF on the generator to ????? the voltage regulator got hot then burned off a wire inside of the original (Hitachi style regulator). I was thinking that maybe the green DF wire shorted to ground somewhere between the gen and the VR. I wanted to go directly from the gen to the VR thus bypassing the wire loom. Will this cause a problem?
Old 04-25-2022, 03:12 PM   #9
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyglines View Post
It is charging at 18V or more. The wire going from DF on the generator to ????? the voltage regulator got hot then burned off a wire inside of the original (Hitachi style regulator). I was thinking that maybe the green DF wire shorted to ground somewhere between the gen and the VR. I wanted to go directly from the gen to the VR thus bypassing the wire loom. Will this cause a problem?
That won't cause a problem in the least. As well, you could add an inline resistor to that wire to knock that current down some.
Old 04-25-2022, 05:06 PM   #10
andyglines
Not Yet Wild

Thanks. I'll try that and hopefully be back in business.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson