lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Sled Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-22-2017, 09:11 PM   #31
jbbudzz
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Golf Cart Mod

It's an old E-Z-Go frame modified for a Club Car body. Old rear end and swing arm was ripped out and a whole new one Refabbed with a live axle. You are correct too much Gear with the clutch on the axle and it won't take off. Not enough room for the jackshaft above the rear end with the body on. Easy to move the motor forward. Just purchased 14 tooth and a 72 tooth sprocket to start with.
jbbudzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-22-2017, 09:30 PM   #32
Gearhead1956
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

[quote=Shepard;1411130]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbudzz View Post
I don't know how to compute any of that. In your in your opinion with my setup what sprockets should I run? It's a Polaris 340 fan-cooled snowmobile engine with stock primary and secondary clutches that will run to a jackshaft which will in turn run a live axle via chain with 22in tires? I'm Not Looking For Tons of Speed. Hoping for 35 miles an hour and some tork out of the hole.[/QUOTE

A 4 to 1 ratio in your sprockets should work -- That would be a 12 tooth drive and a 48 tooth driven sprocket.
Shepard,
you have to remember he is using a 2 stroke sled engine not a 4 stroke that has bottom end power. Most sled clutches don't even start to engage till 3500-3700 rpm's on sleds.
I just don't think a 4 to 1 on 22's will work here.
I have played with 2 sled cart's, one we geared to high and the other to low.
And the 6 to 1 would be in the middle of those two carts. We have played and played with these cart trying to get it right. the power ban on these engines is very short.
But then again, we are trying to drag race on a 300-400 foot track.
Gearhead1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 09:44 PM   #33
Gearhead1956
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
It's an old E-Z-Go frame modified for a Club Car body. Old rear end and swing arm was ripped out and a whole new one Refabbed with a live axle. You are correct too much Gear with the clutch on the axle and it won't take off. Not enough room for the jackshaft above the rear end with the body on. Easy to move the motor forward. Just purchased 14 tooth and a 72 tooth sprocket to start with.
That maybe a good place to start.
That's 5.14 ratio with 22 6000 rpm's tops at 38.17 MPH.
But that's saying your clutch set up is 1 to 1. Using a sled front and cart rear clutch I don't know what it actually is. But I am thinking it is going to be an overdrive not 1 to 1. With a 15% overdrive would put you at 43.9 mph.

Make sure you come back and tell us how it worked. Or we still will be having this debate!

Worst case, if you still have the gas rear and swing arm you could put high speed gears 6 to 1 and I think you would be there.
If I build a another one with sled engine that what I am going to do.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:02 PM   #34
Gearhead1956
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Actually we mounted it between the engine and rear but high above rear. Its still so close we can not use air cleaners on the carbs.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:49 AM   #35
Gearhead1956
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Anyone else want to chime in here, Maybe someone with better math skills then me,

Or anyone who has built one with a sled engine. Tell us how you geared it and the out come?
Old 07-23-2017, 03:06 PM   #36
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I looked up the harley carts final ratio. It is 12.25:1. I am running 20" tires and could use higher gearing. Based on your running 22 " tires I would start with an 8:1 ratio. This should be very close what would be a nice ratio for a golf cart. Also note harley claims a cvt ratio of 3.39 low to a 1.17 high. I think with the snowmobile primary clutch these ratios have been altered to higher ratios. I hope this helps you figure out where to gear at.
raydhd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 07:39 PM   #37
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I would agree with that, most of the time they don't run right because they are not clutched right. A good sled you hit the gas it engages at say 4K WOT and the sled moves (with picks there is no spinning) and in say 20' the tack goes up to 7K rpm you shift at, it stays at 7K until you hit top speed of say 90mph for a 500cc typical old sled. This would tell you the torque is up at 4K rpm though it peaks right under the HP usually in a 2 stroke like that. But with a sled you spin if too much power so they do it that way. A drag sled would engage at higher rpm and thus more power on holeshot. Drag sleds suck on trails to ride! rpm high all the time, not fun to ride other than WOT usually. So you find a compromise. Either way it needs to hit 7K stock shift rpm or you wont get the power it has. It should be 7K all the time at WOT to get power to ground...or whatever rpm your engine runs normally. I think my srv ran 7200 for max power but that was long ago not sure and it had a psi pipe.

Sleds usually have a larger secondary diameter to give a wider range than carts have, so they can get more low end gearing to go slow and still run fast. Most carts they will hit the axle if you could fit one on there.

On the other hand if you don't need all the power or change the pipe then if may not need to be spot on and make max power. With a sled your buddy goes by you if its messed up.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Sled Engine Swaps