lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!
Extreme DC! Extreme Electric Golf Carts!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-09-2013, 02:30 PM   #1
Solenoids
Not Yet Wild

Default Replacement of 48 v lead acid batteries with litiunm

Does anyone have experience replacing 6, 8 volt lead acid batteries with Lithium batteries? If so, how have they worked? and who's would you recommend?
I only use my cart for going to and from the golf course and to play golf. Unfortunately I go through a set of the lead acid batteries in about 18 months and they are getting expensive.

The cart has a number of upgrades: 2 mode EMP motor, 850 amp controller, 1/0 gauge power wiring, SW 202 solenoids.

Thanks, Jerry
Solenoids is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-09-2013, 03:31 PM   #2
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Replacement of 48 v lead acid batteries with litiunm

There are very, very few members here (or anywhere) that have converted to lithium. Cost is #1 reason. $3000 is a lot for batteries. If yours are only lasting 18 months then you might be buying the cheapest available or not caring for them properly.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 04:45 PM   #3
Solenoids
Not Yet Wild

Using Trojan T875 and following there advice to the letter....
Old 11-09-2013, 05:52 PM   #4
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Do you have a way to measure amp draw at full throttle cruise? The motor you're using might be pulling too many amps continuous killing the batteries.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:40 PM   #5
Solenoids
Not Yet Wild

Can you please tell me how I can measure that (my guess is that the max draw for me is climbing the very steep hills that my golf course has). Thanks.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:45 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

How often do you recharge? The answer could be as simple as you reaching duty cycle capacity.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:01 AM   #7
Solenoids
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for your thoughts. Per Trojan's advice, I recharge anytime I go at least 5 miles, which is basicly anytime that I use it. I use it at least 5 times per week with each use ranging between 5 and 15 miles.

Per their phone advice, I have also tried "double charging". Which is charging it again right before I use it. Same result.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:15 AM   #8
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Question Re: Replacement of 48 v lead acid batteries with litiunm

If your killing trojans 875 in 18months something is draining them big time. What is the motor amps stated at for the motor.

When you ride the cart on a normal day what is the voltage when you put it back on the charger? What is the finished voltage when done charging? What charger are u using? How many amps does it push while charging is the water levels good? All this will effect the life.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:41 AM   #9
Itsalljake
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I've got a neighbor who converted his 1960's alpha Romero spyder to electric. Had deep cycle then swapped them out for lithium. Says the performance is awesome and half the weight but needs a whole system to monitor and convert the juice. Half the weight sounds great. Three times the price doesn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Itsalljake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 01:56 PM   #10
rbuggies48IN
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Looked into this about a year ago and basically got similar results like Itsalljake, i.e., I won't live long enough for the economic payback. However, if less weight and the unique benefits of Lithium seem to work for you, I would suggest a complete evaluation of your system/lithium option by an expert. I live in CA and went to KTA Services (kta-ev.com) Worked with Wistar Rhoads - President. His company does electric car conversions and he knows 'everything' about Lithium for EVs and EVs. I think I paid him $ 160 for a complete look at my system and what Lithium would do for me. If you are going to spend the money on Lithium go to KTA and make the small investment (could be higher as I was going to have TA do the work if I went Lithium) for evaluation or find a similar expert in your area. I know drop-in Lithiums for golf carts are available, but I felt I didn't get enough info from these suppliers, and two wouldn't even talk to me (too small a project - 1 weird 42 volt cart ). I am going to wait for Lithium prices to come down or for what ever new tech may appear. For now, it is lead for my guns and my batteries.
rbuggies48IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!