lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-01-2012, 12:18 PM   #1
racinjason89
Not Yet Wild

Default Key Switch/Voltage Reducer question

I have installed a 36v to 12v reducer in my 08 txt. I have hooked up my turn signals ,brake lights, and horn to it. My headlights work with the key switch in the second position. I have read that is a good idea to put the reducer on a switch because it may drain the batteries. However, I'm afraid my wife may forget to turn the switch on. Is there a way to hook it to the key switch without overloading the switch? Or do they make a different key switch that would handle the load? Thanks.
racinjason89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-01-2012, 12:24 PM   #2
LostHusker
Just one day at a time

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Key Switch/Voltage Reducer question

I would install just a separate toggle to control the reducer alone if you are worried about it draining the battery. I would not try to run everything through the key switch, others have done it depending on what they have hooked up to it but I would just leave it for just the lights. If you put too much through it eventually you will kill the key switch.
LostHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:52 PM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Sounds like you did not buy a voltage reducer with a remote on/off control wire.

One way of doing it would be to upgrade your stock solenoid with a heavy duty one and use the original to to fed the 36V input to the voltage reducer.
Wire it to the switched 36V terminal on the keyswitch so the solenoid is closed whenever the key is on.

That way, you could fed the 12V for the lights from the reducer to the existing 12V keyswitch contacts and they would still turn on when the key was rotated to the third position.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:57 PM   #4
Gonkulor
Astronautilator

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Sounds like you did not buy a voltage reducer with a remote on/off control wire.

One way of doing it would be to upgrade your stock solenoid with a heavy duty one and use the original to to fed the 36V input to the voltage reducer.
Wire it to the switched 36V terminal on the keyswitch so the solenoid is closed whenever the key is on.

That way, you could fed the 12V for the lights from the reducer to the existing 12V keyswitch contacts and they would still turn on when the key was rotated to the third position.
With JohnnieB. It's more wires but not a lot and it will give you satisfaction of mind. Then that way everything is controlled by your key. It's a simple and elegant way of solving the issue but the only factor is having to buy a new HD solenoid and wire it up.
Gonkulor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:51 PM   #5
racinjason89
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
I was given the reducer for free, sooo....

Anyway, thanks for the info. I am going to see what I can do this weekend.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:02 PM   #6
racinjason89
Not Yet Wild

Guess I should have mentioned, it's a pds cart. Does it even have a solenoid? (Sorry, I'm new to the cart scene)
Old 12-01-2012, 04:42 PM   #7
racinjason89
Not Yet Wild

Sorry. I'm retarded. Found the solenoid. Now if someone can recommend one for me, I would appreciate it!
Old 12-04-2012, 01:32 PM   #8
KY Gun Geek
Not Yet Wild

Think Scotty sells'em

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Home_Page.html
KY Gun Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:27 AM   #9
racinjason89
Not Yet Wild

Okay. Here is what I have. I'm a little confused. Is there a reason why I can't just use the post with the yellow 36v in with key or the blue 36v out with key to supply the voltage to the converter? If it's a load issue, can you please tell me how to hook up the other solenoid? (the small terminals on the second solenoid have continuity) Thanks.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:30 AM   #10
LostHusker
Just one day at a time

E-Z-GO

I would not tap off your solenoid for your power, you would be better off pulling from your main pack.
LostHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO