lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-15-2012, 08:04 PM   #1
SilverBack4Jack
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Gearing Questions?

So I have been reading some post of people changing the gearing on their carts. I tried to search some stuff the best way I knew how and I am coming up empty handed. So my question is this. I have a 2004 series TXT cart and dont know what the gearing is from the manufacturer. If I plan on leaving the vehicle pretty much stock but with some eye pleasing mods what would you all reccomend on the gearing to give me a little more speed? It may not even be something I should do. I would like just a little bit more speed. What would you guys reccomend to give it a little bit more push?
SilverBack4Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-15-2012, 08:12 PM   #2
Coltf1991
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Gearing Questions?

12.44:1 is factory

8:1 is aftermarket
Coltf1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:53 PM   #3
SilverBack4Jack
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks. So I can change the gearing without needing to change the factory controller ?
Old 01-15-2012, 08:54 PM   #4
Coltf1991
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I don't reccommend it. Nor with your stock motor. Need to keep an eye on temperatures.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:03 PM   #5
SilverBack4Jack
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

So basically i am stuck where I am without spending a lot of $$. Oh well strike out again for now.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:08 PM   #6
Coltf1991
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

If I was you, convert to 48v
Old 01-15-2012, 09:39 PM   #7
TerryH
Let's go racin' boyz!!

E-Z-GO

You really need to start with something besides the gears. Controller and cables are the logical place to start. Installing the high speed gears without upgrading the other components is a bad idea.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:56 PM   #8
SilverBack4Jack
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thats why i was asking. I am totaly new to the cart thing and as most guys faster would be better but in all rality the wife would prolly be ok with the speed it goes now. I was just readin and coming across these ideas and trying to figure out where to even begin. You guys are a great help.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:36 AM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Basically, a 2004 TXT Series golf cart will transport two golfers and their golf clubs over groomed golf cart trails at about 15 MPH.
Except for the stock motor and stock battery pack, the rest stock electrical drive system is more or less incapable of doing much more than that.
The key word in the previous sentence being “System” since the stock cables, controller, solenoid and F/R switch only marginally provide the performance stated in the first sentence.

You can effectively change the gear ratio by changing the Tire diameter.
The maximum tire height for a non-lifted cart is about 20", which will give you about a 15% speed increase (17-18 MPH), but will also decrease torque by a similar amount, which in turn will increase the stresses on the electrical drive system. Of course, there are stock carts out there that have been running 20" tires for years.

If your batteries are in reasonably good condition, the weakest parts in your 8 year old drive system are probably the cables and the F/R switch.
If the stationary contacts in your F/R switch are in good condition, you can $ave some by just installing a Heavy Duty Cam (moving portion of switch) instead of replacing entire assembly.
All 13 high current cables should be at least 4Ga, or 2Ga if you anticipate going wild at a later date. (Wild = larger than a 500A controller and a motor that can handle it.)
When, or if, they fail, or at the time of your choosing, the controller and solenoid should be upgraded as a pair.

Hope this helps
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:09 AM   #10
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Basically, a 2004 TXT Series golf cart will transport two golfers and their golf clubs over groomed golf cart trails at about 15 MPH.
Except for the stock motor and stock battery pack, the rest stock electrical drive system is more or less incapable of doing much more than that.
The key word in the previous sentence being “System” since the stock cables, controller, solenoid and F/R switch only marginally provide the performance stated in the first sentence.

You can effectively change the gear ratio by changing the Tire diameter.
The maximum tire height for a non-lifted cart is about 20", which will give you about a 15% speed increase (17-18 MPH), but will also decrease torque by a similar amount, which in turn will increase the stresses on the electrical drive system. Of course, there are stock carts out there that have been running 20" tires for years.

If your batteries are in reasonably good condition, the weakest parts in your 8 year old drive system are probably the cables and the F/R switch.
If the stationary contacts in your F/R switch are in good condition, you can $ave some by just installing a Heavy Duty Cam (moving portion of switch) instead of replacing entire assembly.
All 13 high current cables should be at least 4Ga, or 2Ga if you anticipate going wild at a later date. (Wild = larger than a 500A controller and a motor that can handle it.)
When, or if, they fail, or at the time of your choosing, the controller and solenoid should be upgraded as a pair.

Hope this helps
I concur with everything stated above, but will add this. I don't know how many hills you have or how many passengers you usually carry, but I burned out two stock solenoids before upgrading to a heavy duty one, with a stock controller, stock tires, and only carrying one passenger, so less than 300 pounds for both of us. I was climbing relatively long steep hills in my '98 series TXT, but it was too much for the stock solenoid for a sustained load. Increasing tire size may be fine, or you may just push it over its limit. If you don't have many long steep hills, you may be fine.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO