lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-07-2008, 02:58 AM   #1
hudzik2000
Not Yet Wild

Thumbs down bore & hone, new piston/rings..HELP!!!!!

I need help badly. I have an 86 club car, flat head 341cc. I just had the cylinder bored, honed and installed new piston & rings. The valves were also removed and cleaned by the machine shop. I installed the rings correctly. Here's my problem- 1. weak compression (about 30psi) 2. The intake is acting like the exhaust, and exhaust acting like the intake. In other words the intake is blowing and the exhaust is sucking in......I'm totally lost for answers. Is the engine not at top dead center? I dont think the cam would have anything to do with it...it was never removed. I am lost for answers.

The valves seem to be working correctly looking through the valve opening (where the springs are) they seem to move up & down freely.
hudzik2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-07-2008, 07:58 AM   #2
hudzik2000
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: bore & hone, new piston/rings..HELP!!!!!

still working on my backwards engine....0 psi. I'm wondering if the valves are out of wack in relation to the engine strokes....are my valves raising and lowering at the wrongs time? It sure appears that way when I turn it by hand.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:01 AM   #3
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Sounds like your cam timing is 180 out. (or off real bad) Only thing it could be.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 08:13 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You can remove the spark plug and feel for the piston TDC with a wooden dowel (or such) and see what your valves are doing - when?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 08:59 AM   #5
hudzik2000
Not Yet Wild

You guys are the best!!!!! What a great website!! Ok, now I just spoke with the machine shop. They told me to check valve lash?? He's asking for the specs on both the intake and exhaust valves (the clearance between the lift rods and valve stem) does anyone know the correct clearance? He stated it could be off since he cleaned and shaved.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:22 AM   #6
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Not sure what the clearance is on the flathead but if you have NONE it won't have any compression. If its a flathead kawasaki shaving the head won't have any effect on valve lash. If the machine shop cut the valves then yes...the valve lash will have to be set to an acceptable spec.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:30 AM   #7
hudzik2000
Not Yet Wild

ok thank you. I think I'm on to something here....here's what I'm thinking: the 2 "buttons" that lift the valves, (they ride on top of the lifters, which then push up the valves) if I look close enough, one is thicker than the other. My guess is that I put them back on backwards. Anyone want to take a shot?? We have a 50/50 shot here: does the thicker of the two go on the intake or exhaust side? HAHA!! What a morning...
Old 06-07-2008, 09:41 AM   #8
roady89
nimda
Club Car

No clue...the exhaust needs more clearance, it "grows" because it gets hotter than the inake. If the machine shop cut the valves or valve seats your original valve lash is gone. You will have to reset all your valve lash.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:45 AM   #9
hudzik2000
Not Yet Wild

ok. I just switched the buttons around...still being funny. Looks Like i need the specs for correct valve lash.....Now it looks like I'm SOL. Anyone?? I could really use a break here.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:47 AM   #10
roady89
nimda
Club Car

If they "bored and honed" your block they had to take the crank out which would include takeing the cam out....just a observation.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car