lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-25-2010, 10:08 PM   #1
tierhog
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default removed all throttle cables and cart still revs up.

I have a 1987 marathon that has been running rough. sluggish. bogged at first then built up to rev nicely at wide open throttle. I removed the cables so the butterflies stay wide open. cart still revs and idles down with the foot throttle. which boggles my mind. shouldn't it not run. how does the foot throttle still rev the motor if the cables are unhooked. Is the foot throttle elec. controlled to tell the motor to rev. I dont understand this thing. Help
tierhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-25-2010, 11:55 PM   #2
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: removed all throttle cables and cart still revs up.

Simple - when the pedal is depressed, the ignition is on and the starter engages, so being as your butterfly is wide open, the engine revs up. take your foot off the gas, and the pedal switch kills the ignition, so the engine revs down towards a stop. Pres it again, starter kicks in, ignition gets hot and the engine starts and revs up, etc etc
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 06:37 AM   #3
tierhog
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

But it still has throttle control. Its not just wide open or off. I have full throttle control all the way through the power band. I dont understand how the motor is getting the signal i am pushing on the gas pedal when there is nothing hooked to the carb. I mean I have mid throttle, 1/4 etc. It backfires when I let off which i understand. its getting fuel but no spark when I let off fully. I understand you need the butterfly closed for the backfire to stop. I just dont get how it knows to rev up with control on the amount rpm. thanks for any help.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:49 AM   #4
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

tier, if you have half throttle then is there a chance you disconnected only the choke? at the carb the throttle is controlled by a rod. is this still connected?
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:59 AM   #5
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

There are 3 cables going to the carburetter, the throttle, the governor and the choke. With the KEY OFF look at the carburetter and depress the accelerator with your hand. If anything moves you disconnected the wrong cable
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:12 PM   #6
tierhog
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

thats what I am saying. governor, choke and the throttle cable are all unhooked and it still runs like its hooked up. thats what is stumping me. And actually the the cable only pulls the throttle back closed the spring opens the throttle
Old 08-26-2010, 09:13 PM   #7
tierhog
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

thanks for the help guys. Not trying to be difficult. I just dont understand this thing. I have worked on alot of 2stroke engines but nothing like this. Thanks again.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:35 AM   #8
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Well the throttle opens the butterfly and the extra air rushing in sucks fuel in as a venturi effect. I can only think that you have an air leak between the carburetter and the elbow. At this stage I would be tempted to remove the carburetter so you can check the action of the butterfly. Whilst it is out it behoves you to clean the jets and check the float action and then reassemble with new gaskets.
Sorry but that's the best I can come up with.
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO