lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-07-2019, 12:34 PM   #1
Maineiac
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default 89 Club Car Carryall misfiring at higher RPM’s

Ok Boys’a ( a nod to Lawrence Welk from my youth )
My 89 Carryall (newly acquired) is misfiring at higher RPM’s. I’ve replaced the spark plug, and it has a relatively new carburetor on it (not purchased or installed by me) I’m not sure if its a carb adjustment or the coil...looking for wisdom. Thoughts?
Maineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-07-2019, 02:12 PM   #2
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 89 Club Car Carryall misfiring at higher RPM’s

Some of those kf82’s had an RPM limiter integrated with the ignition coil. If it runs correctly at lower and middle speeds is it possible you’re just running up against the limiter? Would interrupt the spark causing a “vroom sputter sputter vroom” kind of running condition.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 05:04 PM   #3
Maineiac
Getting Wild
Club Car

It’s possible...it does sorta have that feel to it, runs great right up till a certain point and then sputter sputter till i let up on the throttle and it smooths back out.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:55 PM   #4
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Does your Ignition coil have one of these piggy backed on to it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KF82 RPM Lim.jpg (52.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-07-2019, 08:05 PM   #5
Maineiac
Getting Wild
Club Car

This is a pic of my coil. It appears so.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6B67E101-AAAB-4B5F-9067-4127C2C991EB.jpg (104.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-08-2019, 10:53 AM   #6
Maineiac
Getting Wild
Club Car

Is there a way to defeat that?
Old 01-08-2019, 11:40 AM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

IT sounds like it is working as it should if it is cutting out at high RPM's. IF you remove it and rev it too high bad things happen to the motor.

I would start by adjusting the switches and/or pedal linkages so it will go as fast as it can before it hits the rev limiter.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 12:23 PM   #8
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
IT sounds like it is working as it should if it is cutting out at high RPM's. IF you remove it and rev it too high bad things happen to the motor.

I would start by adjusting the switches and/or pedal linkages so it will go as fast as it can before it hits the rev limiter.
That is the simple & free way to go. I agree it sounds like it's all working like it should, but the throttle has been turned up just a little too much. Try adjusting the governor rod just a touch slower. Keep in mind tiny difference in adjustment can make a huge difference in speed. Takes a little patience, but you're aiming for the most speed you can get - just short of where the limiter causes the ignition to cut out.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:58 PM   #9
Maineiac
Getting Wild
Club Car

Ok, so the explanation for the seeming misfire is a built in rev limiter in the coil pack. Is that independent of the governor assembly or do they work together? I’m trying to understand the whole “disconnect the governor and use a tach for optimum speed without endangering the motor” idea. If there’s a rev limiter in the coil, it wont let me run above a certain RPM anyway. Is that loosen the governor arm not applicable to a KF-82?
Old 01-08-2019, 02:13 PM   #10
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

That's much older than my club car, so I will let one of the other guys that's got a lot more experience with that setup chime in with specifics. But if it were mine, I would leave the RPM limiter alone and adjust the governor to allow as much speed as you can get before it cuts out. If that's not enough speed for you, then upping the tire size will help.

RPM limiter is completely separate from the governor. The limiter just monitors engine speed. once engine speed gets too high, it cuts spark to prevent over revving, and exploding engine.

The governor is built into the transmission and just monitors speed and load presented to the engine.

In a way they work independantly, as they do completely different tasks. but they work together in that if the governor is adjusted too high (Fast) the engine will spin too high trying to keep up with what the governor is telling it to do, and the RPM limiter kicks in to prevent grenading. The best you can do is find the balance between best speed (governor) without overtaxing the engine (Causing limiter to cut spark). Note that the higher the governor is set, the harder your engine will work and wear faster.

hope this makes sense...
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car