lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-05-2018, 09:15 AM   #1
lolgoats
Not Yet Wild

Default 2018 Gas Club Car Onward Speed Control

Good morning,

Brand new to the community, thank you for having me and contributing to such an awesome forum for cart enthusiasts.

I recently purchased a new 2018 Onward Gas Cart Lifted, and I must say that I love everything about it except the speed. I've done some research online, and talked to several dealers, but I seem to be getting some conflicting information about the speed regulation of these carts. I understand that the law says that it must be "configured" at no more than 19.9 mph to be considered a PTV and be allowed on the streets in my area.

My dealer is telling me that although they will not do it, the cart CAN be programmed to run up to a max speed of around 35mph, but this will void the warranty and make it no longer considered a PTV.

I don't want my cart to go 35 mph, but I would like 20+ mph(currently running at 18mph on my gps). My dealer is very vague about this process but has made mention of "programming" it several times.

My question is....Are these carts actually programmed at different speed levels, or are they really just adjusting some mechanical parts/linkages/springs/cables?

If the answer is truly "programming" is it possible for an individual such as myself to purchase the handheld programming device?

Thanks!

Last edited by lolgoats; 06-05-2018 at 09:19 AM.. Reason: Re-ordered wording.
lolgoats is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-05-2018, 11:27 AM   #2
Brian North Texas
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 2018 Gas Club Car Onward Speed Control

I'm looking to do the same thing. Waiting on my Onward from my local dealer. I did read that you can adjust the throttle cable to get more speed. Its located below your feet on the floor board. I read to tighten it 3-5 rounds at a time. Drive your cart and see what you get. Listen for anything usual from your motor. They're set to run at 3600 RMP. I haven't heard anything about programming on a gas cart.
Brian North Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 07:13 PM   #3
Daddy T
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I bought my new 2018 Onward this past Christmas, and asked the same question. You can probably find the comments I received if you look hard enough. Basically, you have 2 options. You can adjust the length of the metal rod going to the gas pedal under your feet. It's extremely simple, but there really isn't much to work with there. I was only able to get my cart to 23mph this way. The other option is to "rig" the throttle on the back of the motor. I've read many times people talk about the "zip tie method" but that was on the precedent and DS models. I can only assume it works the same on the Onward, but since I don't want to blow up my new toy, I'm content with the 23mph.....for now anyway!
Daddy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:40 AM   #4
lolgoats
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy T View Post
I bought my new 2018 Onward this past Christmas, and asked the same question. You can probably find the comments I received if you look hard enough. Basically, you have 2 options. You can adjust the length of the metal rod going to the gas pedal under your feet. It's extremely simple, but there really isn't much to work with there. I was only able to get my cart to 23mph this way. The other option is to "rig" the throttle on the back of the motor. I've read many times people talk about the "zip tie method" but that was on the precedent and DS models. I can only assume it works the same on the Onward, but since I don't want to blow up my new toy, I'm content with the 23mph.....for now anyway!
I'd be more than content with the 23mph, any chance you can post a picture or 2 to give me an idea how to adjust it? Thank you so much for your response!
lolgoats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 10:46 AM   #5
barneyz71
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Adjust this toward the back of the cart 5 turns or so. The throttle cable not the brake. It's the one with the cable. Shouldn't take but five minutes or so. Drive it before putting the floor mat back down to make sure you are getting what you want. Going to far, the gas pedal will become jerky or it will act like full on or full off if that makes sense. It will be hard to drive at slow speeds if you go to far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Speed.jpg (202.6 KB, 0 views)
barneyz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car