lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-12-2015, 09:33 AM   #1
kingster
Not Yet Wild

Default vc460 engine swap

I am a newbie, but I would like some insight on swapping the vc460 into my buggy. when I say buggy I don't mean golf cart, I mean dune buggy. I came to you guys forum because there seem to be a lot of people who has already purchased this engine and swapped it into there golf cart. My dune buggy originally came with a 250cc engine, but it has gave me so many problems and caused me so much money till Im ready to start all over with a new engine that has more power and is more durable. For the torque converter I decided to use a Polaris sportman 500 cvt setup. Then from the cvt to a gearbox, so I can have reverse. No chains involved all shafts.
Can I have some insight on the vc460 engine and power it produces and some help on the swap. ohh yea I forgot, the buggy I have is called a hammerhead 250, there is pictures on google so you can get a general idea of what it look like.
thanks
kingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-12-2015, 10:23 AM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: vc460 engine swap

Can't help you with the dune buggy part, but I can give you some info on the VC460.

This engine is a "Honda GX390 Clone", which means it is a copy, usually made in China. Vegas Carts and Performance designed their own version with 440cc then came with a longer stroke version with 460cc. Both engines are identical except for the crank. The newer versions use a little different head I think, but is still similar.

Stock the engine is said to have 20hp, and my guess is that power is prob peak at around 2500-3000 rpm, with a peak rev of about 5000 rpm. These engines run great, start easy, have good power feel.

With some of the basic mods this engine can be made to produce over 25hp and upwards of 30hp, and can rev higher than 7000 rpm. I have a fully built version I used in my golf cart and with a larger carb it would do over 42mph at 7000 rpm.

These engines run great in golf carts that weigh 700 lbs, so in a smaller buggy like yours it should do just fine. You'll prob want to get a new drive clutch for it, like the Comet 780. With that clutch you can use a cvt belt that is 1 3/16" wide, which should work with most atv driven clutches.

How you adapt that engine to your buggy is up to you. You might find some videos online where someone has done it.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 01:26 PM   #3
kingster
Not Yet Wild

Ok thanks. Do you think a chinese gearbox could hold the power of the engine? Also i have a 32mm keihin carb already is that the correct size or do i need to go bigger?
kingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:56 PM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

32 should work on a clone especially if its a CV carb, that is what I plan to get. You will have to figure out the CVT/axle setup, otherwise it should work great for you. Lots of mods out there for these as the gokart and minibike guys been racing them for some time. Vegas is the first to really nail down clones for golfcarts and gokart guys are buying his clones too as they come with better parts in them. But he has a lot of stuff that works well in swaps. Stock golf carts are around 8.5-10hp and the clone usually feels like twice the power.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 01:45 PM   #5
AirJunky
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Anyone know how this 25HP 460cc engine that Vegas is selling compares with a Honda GX670?
AirJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 01:59 PM   #6
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

The clone single (there is a v-twin out now but not any mods available yet) is a different engine than any twin really. A stock twin is a torque engine they don't like to rev unless you mod them. The clone will rev harder a stock one with $10 springs will rev to 5K no problem even higher, though max power is around 3800 depending on what you do to it. Mine runs great at 4K right now, far as power, so this is where you want the clutch set to. Now you are talking a modded clone with a cam, it is different and will rev even more it might make max power at 5K and will rev past 6K but I don't know what cam is in them. You end up getting more speed because once the CVT shifts all the way the engine will rev higher than others. A twin will make best power at maybe 3-3500 stock even though it will rev much higher with a rev kit. It costs more to buy and build a twin, if you get one parts are out there for. The new honda twin is not good at all you can't take the heads off and I think the only part available for them is coils with the rev limit removed. Stock they rev limit. There are some parts for the old honda twin. Tons of parts for vanguards, some parts for kohler and kawasaki twins the lawn guys like those. Tons of parts for any single clone, the honda single (gx200/gx390) was raced before the clones came out.

So the twin will have loads of torque if you tow or haul lots of weight. Same gears the single clone will likely be faster and have a higher top speed by far.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps