lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-09-2014, 10:53 PM   #1
Toplsvette
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Lead acid battery conversion to lipo

Hello all. I am curious if anybody has attempted to convert their cart to lipo. I am going to purchase some modules they use on a Nissan leaf electric car and make my own battery pack. It will be a 38v 60ah pack which should push my cart right along. I have built a basic battery management system to keep the battery pack from over charging or drawing the pack down to low. This pack will only weigh just over 40 pounds. Which should drop a lot of weight off the cart. If anyone has done this conversion I would like to know how much of a difference it made on the cart. Btw I am doing this cheaper than a set of new Trojans.

Eddie
Toplsvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-10-2014, 12:23 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Lead acid battery conversion to lipo

60ah is a little low. I have built 80ah 48v packs for rxv, they run slightly longer than a T-1275 pack. A T-1275 pack has significantly less capacity than a T-105 36v txt pack. I have explained the differences in rating practices between lithium and lead cells in other threads, if I can figure out how to link that thread.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:21 AM   #3
whizzo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Even considering any differences in rating or management pratice.....there is a big difference between the quoted 60Ah of the proposed LiPo pack and the 225Ah of the T105.

Still interested to hear about a LiPo conversion that is viable and economical.

cheers
whizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:23 AM   #4
Toplsvette
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanx for the reply. I can step it up to 90ah since the cells are 30 ah cells. Each cell in the modules I can get are 3.8v 30 ah. Right now they are configured 2 in parallel and wired in series to make 7.6v at 60ah. I was also thinking of going to 48 volt since I have a alltrex 650 amp controller in the cart that will reprogram to 48 volt. L
Old 01-10-2014, 01:36 AM   #5
cgtech

Yamaha

What other info do you have on the cells, like max "C" discharge ratings? how many could fit? Having a safe way to charge them, ensure cell balance, prevent over-discharge? Do you have some experience with lithium cells, and what they require to not burn?

Lithiums "sag" far less than lead batts under max load, and an Alltrax 650 would kick some A** on those at 48v!
Old 01-10-2014, 01:49 AM   #6
rib33024

cgtech is this the post your talking about

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...tml#post967826
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 02:02 AM   #7
cgtech

Yamaha

Yep, thanks.. How do you copy threads like that? I figured out the pain way, is there an easy way? Please PM so as not to hijack thread.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:00 AM   #8
rib33024

PM sent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Yep, thanks.. How do you copy threads like that? I figured out the pain way, is there an easy way? Please PM so as not to hijack thread.
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:49 AM   #9
Toplsvette
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
What other info do you have on the cells, like max "C" discharge ratings? how many could fit? Having a safe way to charge them, ensure cell balance, prevent over-discharge? Do you have some experience with lithium cells, and what they require to not burn?

Lithiums "sag" far less than lead batts under max load, and an Alltrax 650 would kick some A** on those at 48v!
Thanx again for the great info. I will ask about the (c) rating on the cells. I am just learning about the lipo batteries and am familiar with electrical stuff. Clean power auto makes a mini bms that is affordable for what I am doing. It will protect the cells from overcharge and from over discharge. It also is connected to the charger to balance the cells. You can connect as many modules as you want to get what voltage you need. These are the same modules they use on a Nissan leaf car which is a 144 volt sys. I am going to go ahead and make it a 48v sys. I believe the only thing I need to change would be the solenoid. Should I change the f-r switch. I already have 2ga wires on the cart now. Only thing left is to send the motor to plum quick and it should be a decent cart.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:42 AM   #10
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toplsvette View Post
Btw I am doing this cheaper than a set of new Trojans.

Eddie
My local golf cart shop sells new Trojan T105's for $620. It's hard to believe your lithium cells and BMS are cheaper then that even if you are using tiny AH cells.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO