lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-14-2013, 11:26 PM   #1
Waldo9
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default First Cart Build 99 TXT DCS Limo Dukes Of Hazard style!

So for everyone that does not want to read all of this here are my questions.

1. Will my Alltrax 300amp controller handle 20X8.5 tires and will 20" tires fit without a lift? I Just want to fill in the wheel wells.
2. There is a ton of greasey oil on my rear axle near my motor should I be worried?
3. What would you guys Value this cart at with a new set of refurbised batteries in its current condition.
4. Can a DCS cart use a speed chip?

Now on the my introduction:

Hey guys I just got this cart in a trade. Its my first real Cart that I'm going to turn into a project. Plan is to get it running (The batteries are dead) then im going to do a frame off restoration. I plan on tearing it down painting the frame and the the body. I want to go with 20" street tires no lift stock wheels. Its just going to be a family cart that we can cruise the beach town with and also take to the flea markets and what not.

Here is the little information I have gathered from reading this site. The Cart is a 1999 TXT DCS cart with I believe its a ?Programmable? ALLTRAX DCX300R5 300 amp 24-72V Controller. I found some Refurbished batteries all 6 for $250 with a 6 month warranty that im going to go with, I figured I will start with refurbs then upgrade to all new batteries once I get finished with the build. The solenoid is a White Rodgers 70-120224-5 coil VDC Cont. I dont think this is anything special? I know the Alltrax is upgraded from the original controller I wish it was a 400amp rather than a 300. My first question is will this alltrax 300amp controller and solenoid handle this limo with larger 20" tires? I wont be hauling a ton of weight just me my wife and kids. I think the Speed Chip for $10 will get me the speeds I want 18-20mph? I'm going to swing by a welding shop and grab some 2 or 4g battery wires when I get my batteries back. I cant tell yet if the cart came as a limo or was modified. The frame has some minor surface rust that I am going to use a wire wheel on then paint gloss black.

My Alltrax Controller
Waldo9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:25 AM   #2
Spawn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: First Cart Build 99 TXT DCS Limo Dukes Of Hazard style!

you will notice on your photo of your controller it says programable. you dont use a speed chip, you program it with a computer. as its only a 300 amp your probably at your max speed now. You could pull that 300 and upgrade to a larger 400 or 500 since its a limo and sell the 300 you have. with a limo your gonna need all the amps you can get. you could switch to 48 volts now with the 300 and get more speed and torque. then upgrade the 300 down the road. That would be the better of the 2 options in my opinion. go 48 since your doing batts anyways. just remap your 300 for 48 volts. pick up more power and a longer run time.
Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:41 AM   #3
subby44
Gone Wild
Club Car

I agree with the post above.. do the 48V and you will smile... the torque is gonna be needed if hauling 4 people on it.. Go 2 gauge on the cables so it will keep the temps down.. Then do the 400-500 controller... Remember if you go 48 you need to do the charger too.. it is well worth it for the money esp. since the batts are already out of the cart... I think the biggest mistake people make with the batts is... They cheap out on them... JMO... hope this helps with your decision... subby~~
subby44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:21 AM   #4
Waldo9
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Going 48to would i need to upgrade my FR switch and solenoid?
Old 03-15-2013, 10:40 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo9 View Post
Going 48to would i need to upgrade my FR switch and solenoid?
Without seeing it, I'll guess it is most likely Yes on the solenoid.

With a DCS cart, the F/R switch only tells the controller to change the direction the motor rotates, so the current F/R switch will work.

OR, you can install a dash mounted F/R rocker switch like what is used on PDS carts.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:41 AM   #6
subby44
Gone Wild
Club Car

No, I have been told, on my dcs I do not have to change the F&R...
subby44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:53 PM   #7
Waldo9
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks guys. Im going to talk to my battery guy about aquiring two more batteries. Should I just order any 48 volt solenoid? Another question will 20" tires tuck without a lift? I got most of the the cart tore down today. Ive just got the back seat and rear body to remove then it will be time to flip in on its side and start wire wheeling the frame then prime it and paint it black then start on the body work. Im going to paint it like the General Lee. Im going to actually paint the decals on instead of using stickers.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO