lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-15-2011, 06:24 PM   #1
yamasteve
Not Yet Wild

Default G9 questions

First, thanks to all for the great info on this site! Its been very helpful. I read a thread for replacing the rear coil springs with Mcmaster Carr 96485k191 springs. Since the O.D. on the new coils is more than stock, how well did they fit on the shock? How smooth is the ride, and will they carry a heavier load than stock(for rear seats and towing a small boat). Second, the sliding sheave has a groove worn where the ramp shoes slide on it. Is that normal or should I replace the sheave. Thanks in advance for any helpful input!
yamasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-15-2011, 09:08 PM   #2
jmz
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: G9 questions

I am not sure about those springs but a lot of us put four wheeler shocks on our carts.
jmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:06 PM   #3
yamasteve
Not Yet Wild

Traceman posted that he used the McMaster springs and likes them. Just wondering if anyone else tried them and how they ride with and without passengers on back.
yamasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:25 AM   #4
Dlcain
Gone Completely Insane

Club Car

I haven't tried them either, but wouldn't hesitate to use them going off Trace's recommendation. Since I've lifted the cart I can't go with the stock shocks anymore, and like JMZ say's, I'm experimenting with different ATV shocks. I mounted Honda 750 shocks the other day up front and it acualy rode pretty decent. Just a tad bouncy though, so want to try some other ones out.
Dlcain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:24 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

The ramp shoes are plastic they should not wear into the ramps unless they went bad and owner kept running it. Or who knows. If they still slide well and its smooth and still a straight ramp, and the sheave moves its full range, it will probably still work ok. If they don't work right it will not shift like it should.

More spring is not going to make it ride easier unless you add more travel. Having a seat on the back (or box in my case) is a compromise. The carts only weigh 600lbs so when you try to put possible 600lbs on them for cargo it is difficult to tune the suspension for both. I have my stock springs mounted more straight up to make them stiffer to haul box weight, it does not ride as nice but with the 22s is not bad really compared to a stock cart.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 10:24 AM   #6
Bub450
Not Yet Wild

I have. A g9 gas that's not firing I got firer on the red wire going to the coil but not out of the plug
Bub450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 12:22 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Should have hot 12v on red/white going to coil/start solenoid/ignitor, while you have the key on and the pedal pressed. Make sure all those have a good ground, they are common to have connection issues, especially the small wires hooking to the solenoid. Get a ngk bprs2es (?) plug, its the normal plug for newer yami like a G16. If you are sure all the wiring is good; the trigger is on the flywheel they never seem to go bad, it signals the ignitor to fire the coil. Ignitors are expensive they don't go out that often but does happen. Sometimes when hot, sometimes they have bad wire plugs in them, sometime you can squeeze the ignitor case and they start working. The ignitor (near the fuel pump) is sort of a cdi box actually a tfi or whatever it is, it is supposed to retard the timing to zero <1K rpm for starting/idle and let it be advanced to 28 degrees at 2500 rpm and above. IIRC the timing is advanced on the pickup and it just holds it back at low rpm. Get a $5 spark tester if you don't have one.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 02:18 PM   #8
QB100
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I put the Jakes HD spring/shocks on my G9. Made a huge difference on how much it sagged down as I have a rear seat. at about $100 each it was pricy. They didn't make a spring replacement like they do for the G29.

I still have the old spring/shocks assembly if anyone wants them to test on.
QB100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha