lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-06-2010, 09:38 PM   #1
copeland2004
Not Yet Wild

Default Wanting to swap original motor.

I have a 1992 Yahama G9A lifted Golf cart with original motor. I blowed the motor that came on the unit pulling fence post on the farm. I am wanting to swap the old motor with a 13.5hp Gray Hound electric start motor that you can buy at harbor freight. The shaft size on the new motor is 1" by 2"7/8 with 1/4" key-way. I understand that I will have to fabracate a motor mount. That will be no problem. What i am concerned about is, will the new motor turn the same direction as the old motor, will it be worth the effort, will i be able to use the clutch off the old motor if it is also 1" by 2"7/8 and keyed the same? I have the same brand motor just 6.5hp on my son's go cart and on my tiller, and I have had no problems with them yet. The are built just like a honda motor. Any info. would be a great help. I'm tring to garther as much information as i can before i start on the project.
copeland2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-06-2010, 09:50 PM   #2
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

Default Re: Wanting to swap original motor.

The motor will turn the same way, clock wise. You are correct on making a new mounting plate, but the original G9 clutch is not a straight shaft, it is tapered so it won't work. Re-wiring, finding the right belt length, clutches are tough to find right now, probably re-locating the muffler from right underneath where you sit, at least 4" worth of lift, yes it's all doable and the G9 is a great cart to do it with..........but, is all that worth about a 3.5 hp gain? For some yes, others would look for more HP if you are going to do all that work anyway..... My .25 cents worth. BTW, where are you located?
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:35 PM   #3
copeland2004
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for the reply. Located in east Texas. What Hp. would you recommend? I only use the cart for working around the house, halling feed and such. Would it be cheaper to have the old motor rebuilt? We have the old cart and fourwheelers, when the cart was running we always use it instead of the fourwheelers. I guess it is more comfortable to ride.Don't know. Thanks again.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:43 PM   #4
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

For what you are saying you use it for, I would have it rebuilt, add a torque spring to the driven, be happy......I know a rebuilt with core is about 600.00 right now, but by the time the other swap nickels and dimes you I think you will be way ahead, in time and money.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:46 AM   #5
copeland2004
Not Yet Wild

Ok thanks for the info. You know when the old motor quit, it was dumping oil into the air box for some reason. It was coming from the tube that runs from the valve cover to the air box. I'm thinking it may have something to do with the valves. Don't really know. Thanks again.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:28 AM   #6
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

These engines are "splash" or "slinger" lube systems, not pressurized. Nine times out of ten oil in the airbox is simply a result of over filling, they only take one quart.......Stuck carb float can also cause an overfull condition because gas gets into the crankcase.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:02 PM   #7
copeland2004
Not Yet Wild

Well if thats the case I may not have a problem. I just assumed that somthing was wrong when I found all that oil. I cleaned it out and ran it. Checked it again and there was oil again. I also took to valve cover off and checked it while i turned it over. There was not much oil coming to the valves. Not enough to put that much in the air box. The cart has been set up for 4 or 5 months. I'm gonna fill like a dumb a** if there is nothing wrong.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:31 PM   #8
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

Don't feel bad, that's what these forums are about. Nobody can know, or even remember even the simple things sometimes. Might have to run it awhile, change oil and plug again, new air filter, then maybe good to go. Check compression if that doesn't work and get back!
Old 02-07-2010, 07:38 PM   #9
copeland2004
Not Yet Wild

I will do that and see what happends. Thanks for all the info. I've never done one of these forum things, but they are a big help. Thanks again.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:57 PM   #10
copeland2004
Not Yet Wild

Got cart running yesterday. Runs ok but there is no power, and smoking black smoke. I read on here earlier that if the air box is not tight, that will cause power loss. Is that true? My air box is kinda junked. I'm thinking that I may have an issue with full line sucking air also, it was leaking where the line goes into carb. This maybe some of my problem.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!