lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-17-2020, 06:16 AM   #11
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Chargery BMS nearly caught fire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthmatic2 View Post
Ah, that's good to know Sergio. I think the spike from the solenoid closing seems like the most likely reason that this happened. I don't see any other way that the BMS could melt down like that, unless there was something wrong with the BMS itself.

Sergio, in your example, if the if the small relay is placed on the "hot" side of the key switch, wouldn't the relay never close since big relay is open (and cart has no power)?
The spike in the Solenoid could have caused the SSR to "fail-shorted" and that could have led to other issues.

If You keep your circuit as is, meaning completely interrupting the main power, then You would need to run a separate 18ga wire from the pack side of the battery to a "push button" to start the system.

I think a lighted 12v momentary push button would work for this purpose.

You would turn the key ON (no power anywhere yet since discharge solenoid is OFF), press the button to jump start the relay, then the discharge solenoid closes and the relay gets powered by the key switch (You need a small diode on the wire from the key switch with striped end towards the push button).

Release the button and the button light turn ON since You would run the key switch power through the button 12v LED in order to reduce the voltage at the relay coil and keep it running cooler.

When You turn the Key Switch OFF, the relay powers OFF and the discharge Solenoid powers OFF.

That would remove most of the current drain from the system and keep the BMS cooler when the cart is parked.

You can also automate the charging by using a 120vAC relay to complete the circuit to the charger Solenoid so it only gets power if the cart is plugged to 120vAC power.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-22-2020, 09:32 AM   #12
Anthmatic2
Not Yet Wild

I'm working on getting that diode installed for the LV relay. I have some IN4007 diodes but I'm not sure if those are correct for my application.

The Chargery outputs 12volts (up to 3amp) for both the HV and LV relays. Should I run a beefier diode, like a 1N5408 (3amp/1000v)? Or will the smaller amperage diode still protect the controlling circuit?
Anthmatic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 04:10 PM   #13
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The fly-back diode is sized according to the relay coil current, which for the Panasonic AEV14012 You are using is only 0.4 amps.

The 1N4007 diode will work just fine since it is rated for 1.0 amp continuous.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 05:53 AM   #14
Anthmatic2
Not Yet Wild

Like Sergio pointed out, it's been driving me nuts that the relays are powered when I might not need them to be.

The Charger BMS gives you the option of powering off of the balance leads or an external source. However, it prompts you to "Start" every time you turn it on so I assumed that it would be a hassle. This weekend I realized that it starts anyways, it just takes a second... which I can live with.

So I'll probably be hooking this up directly to the battery pack on some sort of rocker switch (and fuse). It only draws <5amps but I'm having trouble finding a switch rated for 36/48v DC. Anyone have any tips on where to look?
Old 07-15-2020, 03:28 PM   #15
MyCousinVinnie
Gone Wild
Club Car

Why don't you hook it up so that it comes on only when the key switch is on?
MyCousinVinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 08:43 PM   #16
Anthmatic2
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyCousinVinnie View Post
Why don't you hook it up so that it comes on only when the key switch is on?
Sergio helped to explore what that would look like (a few posts back) but it would still require adding some sort of switch because if the BMS has no power, the cart has no power which means the key switch won't either. So something's got to jumpstart a relay to provide power.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium