lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-08-2020, 05:23 PM   #181
ag4ever
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Leaf Battery swap in 2012 Club Car Precedent

New issue, argggggg!

Zeva is alarming “BMS - High Cell”. This happens when a cell hits 4.10 volts during a charge. It never gets high enough to start balancing.

Settings:
Max Charge Voltage ...... 57v
Full Voltage .................. 58v
Balance Voltage ......... 4.11v
BMS Max Voltage ....... 4.17v

I never had this issue before. Also, I am showing a 0.5 amp parasitic draw. I’ll need to do some testing to find what is leaking and fix that, for now I’ll just disconnect the pack at the Anderson plug.

Interesting, I thought my amp sensor was backwards, flipped it when rebuilding the pack. While charging, the pack capacity went down, regardless of Zeva setting. Turned it back around, and it worked correctly. Go figure.
ag4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-09-2020, 08:18 AM   #182
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Your "Full Voltage" should be set at less than your Max Charge Voltage. The ZEVA instructions state "Typically set value to just below your peak charge voltage."

My Max is set at 57.0 and my Full is set at 56.0.

As for your parasitic draw.....I didn't read back thru this thread.....but did you connect the "Sleep Mode" to your ZEVA?
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 11:48 AM   #183
ag4ever
Gone Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the info on peak vs max. I forgot all my previous settings, and was going by memory.

Yes, I have the sleep setup with all the relays. I'm gonna use a clamp style multimeter to read amp draw on various wires to see where it is going.
Old 07-03-2020, 11:52 AM   #184
ag4ever
Gone Wild
Club Car

Update: I have charged the cart innumerable times, and I still have been getting the high cell alarm every time. The battery cells are not perfectly in balance, but they are close.

New issue this morning. Turned on the cart, been sitting idle for about a week, and low cell alarm.

Took voltage readings, and lowest cell was about 2.8xx V.

Messed with the BMS a bit disconnecting plugs and resetting them, now it won’t respond. I know it is getting voltage because the led on the BMS flashes when turned on, and flashes red after it is on.

I have a message in to Ian to see what he think.

I might try redoing all connections to the BMS just to see if there is a loose wire somewhere.

(I have a feeling the BMS has a bad sensing circuit causing the problems I have been having, just a feeling though.)
Old 07-04-2020, 08:41 AM   #185
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

If Your cells are still not balanced, set the "balance voltage" to 4.51V for the Zeva to switch to "dynamic balance voltage".

That will keep the balancing shunts running as long as any cell differs from the average voltage for all cells, regardless of the pack voltage.

Once the cells get back into balance switch the "balance voltage" back to your setting.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 10:59 AM   #186
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
If Your cells are still not balanced, set the "balance voltage" to 4.51V for the Zeva to switch to "dynamic balance voltage".
Huh....who knew to re-read the instructions?

I can only assume that if you leave the "dynamic balance" feature on, it will cause the premature burn out of the shunts?
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 08:43 AM   #187
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
Huh....who knew to re-read the instructions?

I can only assume that if you leave the "dynamic balance" feature on, it will cause the premature burn out of the shunts?
That is one concern but it is also not efficient unless your cells are 100% capacity matched to each other.

Since often there are small differences in capacity, if you "top balance" all cells, some will naturally deviate from that balance at lower SOC, but they will match again at the top.

So if they get re-balanced at a lower SOC, You will again need to re-balance them at the top making the entire process very inefficient.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium