lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-11-2020, 12:07 PM   #1
NEMESIS9
Getting Wild

Default Marathon - Replacement Clutches

Looks like I need to replace the the drive and driven clutches on my 3PG Marathon. Any recommendations on which to purchase. Looks like there are some higher torque or heavy duty options.

What do I need to rebuild the driven clutch? Bushing and ramps?

Also has anyone done the high torque clutch spring? Worth doing?
NEMESIS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-11-2020, 05:19 PM   #2
dbwell00
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Marathon - Replacement Clutches

How did you diagnose it, or are you just going with both for good measure? I just replaced driven because it was obviously slipping. I could get it to change by spraying blaster into the shaft/bushing area of the driven. Quick post here led to a diagnosis on the driven (significant play in the plate compared to the new one).

Huge help and back to what I call normal for an old cart where couldn't probably find parts to fix everything that's loose and rattly if I tried.

I would think about replacing the drive if I thought it would help more, but I would also not like to spend $200+ on one if it wouldn't.
dbwell00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 08:17 PM   #3
NEMESIS9
Getting Wild

I’m getting horrible vibration and noise when driving. I’ve spoken to two knowledgeable Marathon people and they both pointed to the clutches.

If you have a good procedure for assessing them, I’m all for it. I have checked for play in the drive clutch by removing the bolt and moving it. There is some, maybe 1/8”.
NEMESIS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 08:59 PM   #4
dbwell00
Not Yet Wild

I just got lucky really, my symptom was that the cart basically wouldn't speed up even though the motor screamed. No vibration, but rattling noise for sure like a can of gravel. I just stared at it wondering if it was one of the >$200 clutches since it may be that one or both of them wasn't fully engaging, or maybe it was just the belt. I PB blasted the driven (since that's the one I can see the business end of) thinking that maybe there was some goo in there that i could get cleaned out and freed up.... and all of a sudden the cart was freeing up and hitting top speed again. For about a half mile before the stuff evaporated. So that's how I got it narrowed to the driven, just lucky.

I posted that on here, and cartaround mentioned that if I could squeeze the two plates together of the driven with no belt on and there was play there (I measured 1/16" at the opposite end from where I was squeezing which is far more than the replacement which is very tight), then the shaft was worn out. I could rock that plate, so that was confirmation. Replaced driven and back in business.

i can push my drive clutch in about 1/4", and I can rock it only a little bit. It doesn't make much noise if I spin it. I don't know how to diagnose anything about the drive side yet honestly. I'd love to replace it and see if i t helps, but not spending it just to see. I'd like to learn more

This is all for a 2PG, so a little different but same principles
dbwell00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO