lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-14-2010, 07:06 PM   #1
rkelley
Not Yet Wild

Default 48v batteries in 36v Club Car DS

I bought a 92 club car DS (serial # A9235 xxxLxx). The guy said it had been sitting in hs garage for 3-4 yrs without being charged. The cart came with a 36 volt charger (says it on the side). Batteries are dead with no visable liquid. After closer inspection I believe that the Trojan batteries are 8 volt (single cap, 4 holes in each battery) but they are wired like the 36v diagram posted online. So I don't know if I have a 48v cart that is wired wrong and the incorrect 36v charger, or it's a 36v cart with the correct charger but wrong 8 volt batteries wired for a 36v cart? How can I tell if the cart is supposed to be 36v or 48v originally? Or.... are they 36v batteries and I can't tell the difference? Please advise, can it be fixed?

Thanks
RK
rkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-14-2010, 07:12 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 48v batteries in 36v Club Car DS

Welcome to BGW

4 holes = 8 volt batteries......

The charger receptacle on the cart is round with 3 prongs in a 48v cart

In the 36v cart has a 2 blade receptacle
like this (/ \)

1992 was pre- 48v carts
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:51 AM   #3
rkelley
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the info.....OK, it's definitely a 36v by the description of the plug you gave. Now If I get 6v batteries it should work fine right??? or am I being optimistic? I know your not a fortune teller but do you think the old 8v batteries that were wired like a 36v did any damage to the motor or anything else?

Thanks
RK
Old 07-15-2010, 09:58 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

That would take a good fortune teller to say First identify your drive system. Check if it has resistor coils behind the battery pack. Yes or no....
Yes = resistor coil cart
No = controller cart
Either system would/could sustain damage due to improper over-voltage use.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:48 PM   #5
rkelley
Not Yet Wild

No resister coil.....only a black box so I assume is a controller. The 8v batteries were dry so I put distilled water in the cells I figured what the heck just to see if I could get some kind of charge. Would like to see if the motor will even move, is there some kind of cheap-o test I can do? When the charger was plugged in to the cart the charger needle didn't budge at all. I moved the FNR knob back and forth a couple of times and thought I heard a small clicking...?? Good? Bad? I don't know?. Grasping at straws?.....meantime I'm looking for new 6v batteries. I don't know anything about the charger, how it works, or even if this one is working so I unplugged it. I'm probably doing everything wrong. Please advise.

Thanks
RK
Old 07-15-2010, 06:57 PM   #6
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkelley View Post
No resister coil.....only a black box so I assume is a controller. The 8v batteries were dry so I put distilled water in the cells I figured what the heck just to see if I could get some kind of charge. Would like to see if the motor will even move, is there some kind of cheap-o test I can do? When the charger was plugged in to the cart the charger needle didn't budge at all. I moved the FNR knob back and forth a couple of times and thought I heard a small clicking...?? Good? Bad? I don't know?. Grasping at straws?.....meantime I'm looking for new 6v batteries. I don't know anything about the charger, how it works, or even if this one is working so I unplugged it. I'm probably doing everything wrong. Please advise.

Thanks
RK
You're wasting your time trying to charge 48 Volts worth of batteries with a 36 Volt charger. Your first step should be to get the correct batteries in the cart and work from there... About the wiring... Both the 36 and 48 Volt systems are wired the same way when it comes to battery jumper wires... They're wired in a series. All golf cars are wired this way.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:32 PM   #7
pitstop racing
Not Yet Wild

I am no expert, but this could be a difficult and costly situation. If you can talk to the owner again, you might want to get some more history....maybe someone (the info is here on these forums) upgraded the cart to 48V (controller/solenoid), and it's the wrong charger.
More likely, someone installed 48V batteries with no modifications and maybe done some damage.
If you search these forums, there are ways to try to charge those batteries. That would atleast give it a shot of trying to run before ordering new 6V batteries.
pitstop racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:47 PM   #8
rkelley
Not Yet Wild

OK, I purchased new 6v batteries for cc (cheap interstate GC2's...I know...I know). Installed them using the 36v wiring diagram in one of the stickys. Cleaned all conncetions first. The cart goes.....yea!!! Ran it up and down the block once runs pretty good for just a short test. Now, I plugged in the charger (Accu ,Charger) and dial moved to middle of gauge, about 15amps and stayed constant. About 5 min into first charge there was a funny smell, not electrical....hydrogen maybe??? not sure because I don't know what hydrogen gas smell like. Is this normal with new batteries? Will the smell go away? Is it safe to plug in the charger? Please advise.

Thanks
Old 07-24-2010, 09:56 PM   #9
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkelley View Post
OK, I purchased new 6v batteries for cc (cheap interstate GC2's...I know...I know). Installed them using the 36v wiring diagram in one of the stickys. Cleaned all conncetions first. The cart goes.....yea!!! Ran it up and down the block once runs pretty good for just a short test. Now, I plugged in the charger (Accu ,Charger) and dial moved to middle of gauge, about 15amps and stayed constant. About 5 min into first charge there was a funny smell, not electrical....hydrogen maybe??? not sure because I don't know what hydrogen gas smell like. Is this normal with new batteries? Will the smell go away? Is it safe to plug in the charger? Please advise.

Thanks
Yes very common. You should smell a cart barn after I finish a fleet changeout of all the batteries in about 65 cars..
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:10 PM   #10
rkelley
Not Yet Wild

I just checked the water levels in all the bat's, levels are all above the plates about a 1/4 in, a couple of the cell are all the way the the bottom of the plastic. each battery is reading between 6.35 and 6.40 on the meter. Does this sound correct?

Thanks

Tags
wired, wiring
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car