lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-29-2010, 08:07 PM   #1
ph2ocraft
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Slow Moving

So I bought a 2001 EZGO Industrial 800 with the 295 gas and just got her running. New carb and fuel pump and she runs very well.
Problem is when I accelerate I don't see the belt climb or get any clutch action and of course no forward or reverse movement.
Where do I start?? How does this type of clutch system actually work??
Thanks
ph2ocraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-29-2010, 08:15 PM   #2
ph2ocraft
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Slow Moving

I should add this cart wound up in a river up to the axles.
I'm pretty sure it's clutch related just don't know where or how to start checking...
Old 07-29-2010, 08:51 PM   #3
rib33024

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph2ocraft View Post
I should add this cart wound up in a river up to the axles.
I'm pretty sure it's clutch related just don't know where or how to start checking...

Sounds like it How long did it sit after it was in the water???--
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:53 AM   #4
ph2ocraft
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

At least 6 months by the time I bought it.
It's almost sad, my son and I jumped in it after we got it running hit the accelerator, the motor turned and then the engine started...then we realized no matter how many RPM's we threw at it, nothing...
In neutral, when revving the engine I don't see the belt raise.
I'm afraid to ask what it might be (LOL)
Old 07-30-2010, 06:02 AM   #5
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

Are either of the clutches moving in or out? Under acceleration you should see the drive clutch pulling together and the driven clutch start to seperate some. When the governor stabilizes the speed they start to match each other in relation to the belt positioning..
ez go go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:44 AM   #6
ph2ocraft
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I'm no cart guy but I can tell you the unit on the engine doesn't close even a milimeter, I'll check the back one this morning as I didn't know it needed to move as well.
So, the basic principle is when the engine is revved the clutch activates and lifts the belt higher onto the groove?
If that's the case it looks like the clutch assembly needs to come apart and probably get cleaned of rust...
Any special tools?
I would think the springs will want to push the cover off but with how much force?
Old 07-30-2010, 08:45 PM   #7
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

If the drive or engine clutch isn't moving then the driven or rear end clutch isn't going to move. Yes, you are right about the belt riding higher in the groove under acceleration. The belt swaps position b/w the two clutches at different times depending on the task, like pulling a hill or going fast. This is just a change in gear ratios. Kinda like a 10 speed mountain bike... same concept... I have never had the engine clutch apart but I have found out per this site that there are no servicable parts inside the engine clutch.. However I have heard of users taking the drive clutch apart and cleaning it, so it must not be a terribly big deal. I say jump on it, just be careful and was for those springs under tension... I don't know of any special tools, but it definitely sounds like rust might be your problem... Good Luck!!
Old 07-30-2010, 09:41 PM   #8
ph2ocraft
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

O.K. I'll pull it apart tomorrow and see what I find. Worse case scenario, I'll replace the unit. LOL
Old 07-30-2010, 11:21 PM   #9
ph2ocraft
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I also hear there are guys that modify the clutch assembly for better performance, top speed and a better feel...anybody know who does it??
Old 07-31-2010, 07:21 AM   #10
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

I have dealt with Tom at CPP ( carts parts plus ) and he can machine your driven clutch to change the ramp angle... Tom is a site sponsor and I highly recommend. This mod wil get you better pulling and hill climbing ability...
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO