lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-11-2009, 10:22 AM   #1
jas1265
Not Yet Wild

Default Club Car always moving even when key is off

My 94 Club Car is always moving (a very little) even when the key is off. I have to put it in neutral (between F & R) for it not to move. It seems to make a small arc sound & spark just before it goes to neutral - it looks like right as the switch goes across the copper bar on the inside of the switch. The coils always seem to be hot also is this from the cart always being on a little. Does this mean that the switch is bad?

Thx JAS
jas1265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-11-2009, 10:35 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Club Car always moving even when key is off

Welcome jas, this is usually 2 problems.
1. the solenoid is welded closed (completing the positive battery connection) Check this with a voltmeter....
2. the throttle is not coming back to zero ( open the black plastic V-glide and see ... it is the pie shaped thing under the drivers seat.)

Put the cart up on blocks to do any of this ... many a cart has run away during testing.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 11:23 AM   #3
jas1265
Not Yet Wild

This is all new to me so please bear with me - The solenoid that you're referring to is the one below the F/R selector switch bolted to the frame right? if so replace that correct? Does it need to be a CC one or can I buy a replacement one at NAPA etc?
The v-gile box has all of the colored wires going to it right? What should it look like when I open it - how can I tell if it's not going back to zero (zero voltage??)

Thx JAS
Old 10-11-2009, 02:29 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

That solenoid must be a Golf Cart preferably (Club Car) 36 volt to match your system. Napa has nothing that will work... It is a constant duty unit. The V-glide cover is held on by 3 clips. press and release one top, side, and bottom . There are a line of copper lugs inside and a primitive wiper arm with a contact wire and lug on the end of it..... with the key off cart in neutral .... seat removed. press the gas peddle and observe the wiper travel. It should touch all of the lugs as it moves and come back to rest on zero... Depending upon how your cart is wired. the solenoid maybe the sole problem? DO you have a voltmeter and know how to use it?
Old 10-11-2009, 07:33 PM   #5
jas1265
Not Yet Wild

I looked at the slide thing w/ the cover off and it looks like it's moving right - can I check for zero w/ a volt meter?
I assume I put the volt meter black on neg battery and red on the large terminal? what voltage should it read?
Old 10-11-2009, 08:48 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

MOre importantly I would like you to check the solenoid. It is a simple on/off switch for the big battery cables that connect to the 2 large terminals ... does the solenoid click when you try to go? Check to see if the solenoid is working?
Old 10-20-2009, 07:06 PM   #7
jas1265
Not Yet Wild

it was the solenoid - I tapped it with a hammer and it worked right - so I went to my local dealer and bought a new one - works great. Thanks alot! Jim
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car