lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Star and Fairplay

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-25-2014, 03:29 PM   #21
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Star Car Issues

Does it have a albright solenoid? I have seen troubles with dirt getting in the underside (around the actual moving part) messing with solenoid operation. I have also seen faulty keyswitches that cut out on bumps. Another thing to try is bypassing the interlock switch on the charge port, had lots of trouble with those (has the same effect as turning off the tow/run switch).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-26-2014, 07:37 AM   #22
ewalton13
Not Yet Wild

Yes it is an albright solenoid. That was the first thing I replaced so I'm pretty sure that is good now. If it was a faulty key switch wouldn't the power cut off completely? When it cuts out is seems to be just the motor and occasionally it's as if it is thrown into reverse and the cart stops abruptly. Once you release the throttle and press it back down the cart will go again (like it resets something). It does not appear that the power cuts off as everything else will stay on (battery meter and such).

Can you give some brief direction on the interlock switch you mentioned?

Thanks again!
ewalton13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 04:08 AM   #23
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

On the back side of the charge plug in the battery compartment, Two larger (red & blk 10gauge) are the charge wires to "main pos" & "main neg", these are not the ones you are after (DO NOT "JUMPER" THESE)... Two small wires (16 gauge, with green female spade connectors), make a "jumper" for those two wires with two male spade connectors and a short piece of wire, then test drive. These wires & switch are present to disable cart when plugged in. The third prong on the charger handle is not a connector, it presses a switch button.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 06:00 PM   #24
pete959
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

try with ur connections at motor the cable to lug have seen that be a problem will just pull out if it was kill switch or key the lights would die
pete959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 10:28 PM   #25
spatera
Not Yet Wild

Has this problem been solved. On my cart the solenoid will just drop out and you have to lift your foot then go again. It’s just random, any speed, no bumps sometimes it’ll go ten minutes and sometimes 10 feet. I’ve checked every item mentioned. Didn’t see anything about the throttle control but that’s next check. Brand new batteries.
spatera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 07:23 PM   #26
Jaxinvt
Not Yet Wild
Star

If Cgtech's solution didn't work (my wires were loose even though they appeared to be hooked up), then remove your battery wires (all of them) and give the lugs and terminals a good cleaning with a good battery terminal cleaner (I used one from NAPA). Somehow there was a gunk buildup between the terminals and the cables so it wasn't getting a stable connection.

I had a similar problem and that resolved it.
Jaxinvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 04:08 PM   #27
Jaxinvt
Not Yet Wild
Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxinvt View Post
If Cgtech's solution didn't work (my wires were loose even though they appeared to be hooked up), then remove your battery wires (all of them) and give the lugs and terminals a good cleaning with a good battery terminal cleaner (I used one from NAPA). Somehow there was a gunk buildup between the terminals and the cables so it wasn't getting a stable connection.

I had a similar problem and that resolved it.
Also, check to see if a battery terminal is pitted from a loose connection either now or in the past. I also found this and filed it down so the lug had a flat surface to make a connection. The pitting gives an uneven surface for contact and sometimes causes a higher amperage draw when the pedal is pushed causing the controller to momentarily disconnect.

Now I can charge my batteries all the way without getting the dreaded "solenoid double click / no go", and it doesn't drop out while driving. Hope this helps anyone who comes along with a similar problem.
Jaxinvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Star and Fairplay