lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Diesel swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-05-2011, 08:10 PM   #11
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: Club Car/Kubota build

If you can run the clutch off the front it would run the trans the right way, right? I was looking at a '93 carryall with the Kaw engine it seems to turn the right way even though the clutches are still on the pass side of the cart. He has been talking about putting a 27 Kaw in it if he lifts it. I told him he should put like 27s on it to get the gearing up with that big twin lol.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-29-2011, 10:42 AM   #12
crash12888
Gone Crazy

What's the latest on this Rifter?
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:49 AM   #13
hookm
Younger Than Dirt

Club Car

Rifter,I can use that control box if you don't need it.hookm
hookm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:34 PM   #14
rifter
rifter

E-Z-GO

Hookm, I'll check and see if the owner wants it or if he's going to leave it with me. I got the clutch adaptor built and bolted to the Kubota flywheel, now just trying to get the belt alignment right to build the motor mounts. Had to work on a dang electric ClubCar today, they had the wires from the micro switches to the solonoids crossed up and one bad solonoid plus the micro switch housing had one broke bolt that let it mess up the accellerator pedal action, it took more time to figure out all the problems than it paid but they picked up the cart happy. Oh almost forgot had to build mounts for a roof that he brought with him, just brought the roof no mounting hardware. Now back to the Diesel.
rifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:38 PM   #15
rifter
rifter

E-Z-GO

Oh! Man! I need to cleanup my shop!!!! It's a mess!
Old 07-31-2011, 01:32 PM   #16
BigBlockMan
Gone Wild

Rifter
Good talking to you the other day. The cart you have is in the 84-96 range and although the motor must be turned around to fit, The diesel turns the same direction as the original. So forward will be forward as it always was. I know you have awesome fab skills so you will have no problem getting engine in and aligned. However you need to talk the owner into changing out those clutches. The 9 hp Club Car clutch will not hold up to the 20+ HP and the gobbs of torque that diesel will provide. Plus putting that much power into a 1 inch wide belt will never hold up. Explain to him that you would have to re-mount the engine after he figures out the original clutches are not stout enough. Also the original Club Car clutch engagement and shift point are geared to a 4 cycle gasoline engine and the diesel will not have the rpm to properly shift them. I have the 8" dia Team clutch that John Deere uses in the diesel gator so your engagement and shift point would be correct. This could be paired up with our Club Car Big Block driven clutch for a great match. You could then run the much studier 1 3/16" wide drive belt to deal with all that torque. I know he won't like the cost, But doing it twice will cost more. Explain it to him like this, Its like putting that awesome built V8 motor of yours in a car and then using a wooden 2x2 for a drive shaft.
Keep us updated and let me know if I can help with anything.
BigBlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 05:23 PM   #17
rifter
rifter

E-Z-GO

Well, fired up the Diesel cart today, purrs like a kitten. I had the cart owner there for the first fire so he could see for himself that the clutches were not going to work. I can totally relate with him about wanting to save any money he can on the build. Tom, MR. Carts Parts Plus can give you the answers you need on any build, tell him what your wanting to do and he'll have the answer. The Drive clutch barely closed and the Driven didn't even try, the low RPMs of the Diesel wouldn't make the stock Club Car clutches work. ---Update, Driven clutch was stuck,,,,hummm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010229.JPG (176.7 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg P1010230.JPG (169.8 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg P1010231.JPG (172.3 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg P1010232.JPG (179.0 KB, 107 views)
Old 08-09-2011, 08:59 PM   #18
rifter
rifter

E-Z-GO

Well today I pulled the engine back out and welded out all the mounts and exhaust, cleaned up the metal work. Plan to have it to the owner this week end. I did ride it around the yard some, has lots of low end and with the stock muffler it's not too noisy. I still think he will want to do some clutch work and maybe the high speed gears if the tall tires don't work out the speed he wants. I adjusted the throttle lever to lower the idle so the clutch would disengage, I'll also turn up the fuel to try to get a little more RPMs out of it. I'll get some finished pics when he gets the body on.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:10 PM   #19
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

What's he going to use it for? Stump pulling? Once again, great work Rifter.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:32 PM   #20
rifter
rifter

E-Z-GO

He says he's going to use it around the house and pull his small Bass Boat around with it. It should have plenty of power with the low gears.. It's all back together, new throttle linkage built since I didn't know which was throttle and Diesel kill, I had a 50/50 chance and hooked up the kill to the gas pedal sooooo had to fix it, (I didn't win Lotto either), he's going to pick it up Saturday then I can get back on the Limo Pit Cart. This was a good build for me, learned a few things about Diesel and Club Car rear axles, don't really care for either, I'll take GAS and Yamaha or EZGO axles anyday!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Diesel swaps