lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-27-2021, 05:35 PM   #1
6seaterdonk
Not Yet Wild

Default LEDGlow Install 12 piece kit

Hi team,

I installed the 12 piece LEDGlow kit with the 12V power reducer after watching their videos on an icon 6 seater. I wanted to make sure if anyone is attempting to do this on their own there are a couple of warnings to make sure everyone is aware of.

First of all here are the positive comments about the kit:
  • I purchased the kit because of the youtube videos they posted
  • The voltage reducer comes complete with eyes for battery terminals, butt ends for splicing in the control box
  • The kit comes with cable ties, self tapping screws, the video is a great start to get what you need, but look at the warnings section

Here are some warnings about the kit
  • On the step from the video where the installer runs the cable down the "a-frame" pillar the connectors are not able to fit through, you have to uninstall the entire pillar, because the bolts on the bottom are too big for the connectors to squeeze through
  • When starting the install for the canopy lights, I had to flip the bolts so that my led tube did not stick out too much, basically to the flat end of the bolt and installed it on the bottom and put the nut on top
  • The wheel well lights do not come with any cable management outside of zip ties, I had to run to home depot and by some cable management loops and use their self-tapping screws to keep the cables neat
  • The 21 i60l does not have a hole to run the cables through like in the video, so be prepared to cut your own hole, I used a 1 1/4" spade bit after setting a small pilot hole (run the controller cable FIRST, since its the largest connector, and then run the all the other cables through, I am looking for a grommet that fits hole to keep things nice and neat
  • The voltage reducer for my model (21 i60L) came wired too short, because of the battery arrangement, looking for a good place to splice the controller into an ignition controlled 12V source and bypass the VR altogether

I will update the list as it goes, its my first technical post here, i hope this helps anyone looking to install this kit themselves.
6seaterdonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-28-2021, 01:07 AM   #2
6seaterdonk
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: LEDGlow Install 12 piece kit

Found the 12V source that's ignition controlled.

https://www.google.com/search?q=icon...bile&ie=UTF-8#

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 11-29-2021, 11:32 AM   #3
robertmII
Not Yet Wild

we need pics!

Thanks for putting this together. I'm still on the fence. Kids would love it..
robertmII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 09:50 PM   #4
6seaterdonk
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmII View Post
we need pics!

Thanks for putting this together. I'm still on the fence. Kids would love it..
Here you go.

I had the smooth transition mode for the canopy lights and the strobe function for the under carriage and wheel wells.20211129_204513.jpg20211129_204528.jpg20211129_204534.jpg

Old 11-29-2021, 09:54 PM   #5
6seaterdonk
Not Yet Wild

More pics, could not snap an image of the front light as the strobe function I have for the bottom is pretty fast.20211129_204550.jpg20211129_204546.jpg

Old 11-29-2021, 10:40 PM   #6
ATrain
Gone Wild

I love these types of lights. I had them on my old ICON and plan to put them on my new ICON at some point. They look great, help with visibility by cars at night, and are nice interior lights. Good job...I bet that took a while to install.

An important thing though to remember and check on is your state laws with lights.

Flashing (strobe) lights are almost certainly illegal without a legally designated purpose, so be careful with that if you're driving around cops. And reserved colors (red/blue/etc?) can get you in trouble too.

The laws vary state-by-state, but I think red can only be rear-facing and for braking. That law is all over the place though, because it used to be "solid" in color, but then they made exceptions for a fading red to show intensity of brakes.

Blue is usually for emergency vehicles only. I know yellow is ok in some cases. White can only be forward facing unless when used for reversing for the most part.

I'd just steer clear of flashing lights and blue lights when on busy roads. If you're just putzing around the neighborhood, I doubt anyone will care or say anything.

I drive in a densely populated area and I've already had a car PULL OVER for me because my party lights at night and then a cop warned me once about the colors. I had accidentally pushed the wrong button on my lights and didn't realize they were strobing to the music.
ATrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 12:59 AM   #7
6seaterdonk
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATrain View Post
I love these types of lights. I had them on my old ICON and plan to put them on my new ICON at some point. They look great, help with visibility by cars at night, and are nice interior lights. Good job...I bet that took a while to install.

An important thing though to remember and check on is your state laws with lights.

Flashing (strobe) lights are almost certainly illegal without a legally designated purpose, so be careful with that if you're driving around cops. And reserved colors (red/blue/etc?) can get you in trouble too.

The laws vary state-by-state, but I think red can only be rear-facing and for braking. That law is all over the place though, because it used to be "solid" in color, but then they made exceptions for a fading red to show intensity of brakes.

Blue is usually for emergency vehicles only. I know yellow is ok in some cases. White can only be forward facing unless when used for reversing for the most part.

I'd just steer clear of flashing lights and blue lights when on busy roads. If you're just putzing around the neighborhood, I doubt anyone will care or say anything.

I drive in a densely populated area and I've already had a car PULL OVER for me because my party lights at night and then a cop warned me once about the colors. I had accidentally pushed the wrong button on my lights and didn't realize they were strobing to the music.
Thanks, Atrain, you are correct about the strobing function, and to be careful, most of my driving is taking the kids to school, or to the park and basketball courts. I have the remote to shut them off when I go on the main road, but when I hit the neighborhood, out scomes the SWAG.

As far as the install it did take some time, I went in thinking that this would take 3 hours (started around 9 PM) on Thanksgiving night. I didn't find a stopping point till 5 am, once I realized what I got myself into. If I did it all over again, which is like any other install, it would take me around 4 hours, as I figured my way around the golf cart to make sure I didn't make any dumb mistakes. I spent additional time the day after ensuring that I had all the zip ties and cables bundled nicely.

I am searching for a good fuse block solution, once of the things I would also throw into this install for anyone doing this themselves is to add a fuse block, splice off the 12V power supply that is key switched versus using that splice for a single application.
Old 11-30-2021, 01:07 AM   #8
6seaterdonk
Not Yet Wild

Here is the icon youtube video, starting at :53 is where they show the plug that is 12V reduced supply from their reducer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wI1gY_cBadY

Tags
12 piece kit, installation, led lighting, ledglow
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon