lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-25-2021, 01:19 PM   #1
stevet61
Getting Wild

Default Larger Battery Cables

There's a guy selling battery cables on an FB Icon group. They only do the batteries, not the feed + and - cables to the batteries. Because they do not include the feed lines I'm not convinced they replacing them would have merit.

2 gauge 651 strands flexible wire
Tinned copper lugs
PET sleeving color of choice
3:1 heat shrink
15 ton hydraulic pressed

He says they are #2 651 strand vs OEM #6 260 strand wires.

Does anyone think they would improve the efficiency of the batteries or give any additional range per charge? I'd love your feedback.
stevet61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-25-2021, 06:21 PM   #2
Noonan
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Larger Battery Cables

Anything gained by the larger interconnect would be negated by your 2 lead cables being smaller. The biggest advantage that the higher strand count provides is to make the cable more flexible in tight spaces. Although the larger cable would reduce the amount of resistance I don't know that it would be enough to make any noticeable amount of difference in range.
Noonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 07:04 PM   #3
stevet61
Getting Wild

Thanks, that's what I figured. I'd like to update all of the cables. Not sure if that's possible?
Old 11-27-2021, 10:17 AM   #4
Noonan
Gone Wild
Club Car

It is. There's a little more involved if you have an OBC cart but not impossible. What kind of cart do you have?
Noonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 04:57 PM   #5
stevet61
Getting Wild

It's a 2020 I40
Old 01-22-2022, 05:10 PM   #6
stevet61
Getting Wild

I decided to change out all of the #6 AWG cables on my ICON I40 cart, including the feeds to and from the NEOS controller and the 3 output lines from the controller to the motor. The new cables are 2 gauge flex wire, Tinned lugs, 3:1 heat shrink, Pet sleeving of choice, Hydraulic crimped. I'm impressed with the quality and service provided by Kirt Kordisch of Marble Tech Cables. The finished product looks awesome. Anyone needing Kirk's contact info let me know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg New Cables.jpeg (426.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpeg New Cables 2.jpeg (363.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-24-2022, 07:31 PM   #7
ATrain
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevet61 View Post
I decided to change out all of the #6 AWG cables on my ICON I40 cart, including the feeds to and from the NEOS controller and the 3 output lines from the controller to the motor. The new cables are 2 gauge flex wire, Tinned lugs, 3:1 heat shrink, Pet sleeving of choice, Hydraulic crimped. I'm impressed with the quality and service provided by Kirt Kordisch of Marble Tech Cables. The finished product looks awesome. Anyone needing Kirk's contact info let me know.
Do you notice any difference with anything?
ATrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 08:38 PM   #8
jeffahfah
Getting Wild

with the distance of cable I am not sure if there's any benefit to this. I felt the cables after a long run and while they are warm, they are no where near uncomfortable let alone painful.

This reminds me of speaker wire gauge and the pursuit of the least amount of noise/best sound for wire that is literally 8 feet long or less (or balanced vs unbalanced interconnects for equipment next to each other).

Really the best way of telling this is for someone to measure voltage drops between stock and aftermarket. I seriously doubt there is much to warrant such an expense other than making the owner feel like it's a better option.
jeffahfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 10:24 PM   #9
ATrain
Gone Wild

I agree for the most part. I think I did the math last year on the gauge and it was plenty to handle everything that it wouldn't be a bottleneck.

The reason I say "for the most part" is MY battery cables look like they were made at the factory with crap tools and they have a very sharp bend at the terminal, which makes me think it narrows the gauge a lot.

Looking at stevet61's, it's just flows from the cable to the terminal lug. I've not noticed any issue, but it's bothered me for a while.
ATrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 09:51 PM   #10
stevet61
Getting Wild

Weathers been lousy this past week. I'll get back to you when I've got some mileage on the new cables. I do like they way they look. They are made much better than the OEM cables. I'm a old gearhead and would rather spend my $ on good wire "under the hood" so I'm happy with my purchase.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon