lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-21-2018, 08:02 AM   #1
Whipped500
Not Yet Wild

Default Drive2 speed and reliability

Hi everyone! Obviously from my post count I'm new. Looking to buy my first cart. It will be for tooling around the neighborhood, hauling people and coolers down to the boat and the occasional run for dinner or watering hole.

I really don't know what I want but lean towards gas over electric. With that said, I really don't have a brand preference either yet... been looking at the big 3 and paying most attention to Yamaha and then second club car. (I don't see a general section to ask between different brands?)

What kind of reliability does Yamaha have compared to the Robin and the Kawasaki? Is ~30mph achievable without stressing the engine? Is speed about a level playing field with the big 3 engines or does one have an advantage over the other?

I'm looking at Yamaha because I feel they make a reliable engythat will last a long time. Being a snowmobile guy (not Yamaha) they were never the fastest, but you would never see one broke down! With a cart, I don't want it to me the fastest but would like to a top of about 30 and everyday of 25...am I dreaming? Am I looking at the right brand?

Right now I am eyeing up a '17 drive 2 with the IRS and EFI. It's twice as much as I want to spend but still under warranty. I kind of shy away from the office lease trade in because I'm thinking their beat...am I looking at this wrong? I can save a lot if the golf course trade in are fine?

Thanks in advance!
Whipped500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-21-2018, 01:16 PM   #2
TheAspec
Gone Wild

Default Re: Drive2 speed and reliability

Welcome to BGW.

I just purchased a 2018 Quietech, brand new, hands down the best cart I've ever owned in the first few days I've owned it. Besides being super quiet (compared to other gas carts) the IRS is fantastic and it rides silky smooth. I have not even had time to begin "upgrading" it yet.

As for speed, it was 19 mph when I got it, factory set. 30 seconds and a zip tie later I have 25 mph (may be able to squeeze a little more too, but I'm good with this speed). I know from talking to Plowmans you can get into the 30's with this cart for around $400 worth of upgrades from them. Easily worth the cost in my opinion if you want to be around 30 mph.

New vs Used? I can't tell you how to spend your money. I've never purchased a brand new cart until now, and while it was a pretty penny, we ride ours daily, at least 5-7 miles each day, so it was worth the extra money to me having a full warranty and a super nice cart that will be well cared for. Nice knowing no one else modified it, ran it into a tree, etc. With that said, my previous 3 carts, all purchased used ran and worked great, but there is something about that new cart smell! :)

Good luck in what ever you decide. Happy to answer any Drive 2 Quietech related questions you might have.
TheAspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 02:04 PM   #3
Godfather
Getting Wild

My 2018 Yamaha PTV Quietech is my first cart so I really cannot comment on the used questions, but I can say that this cart is amazingly quiet, smooth and comfortable... wider seat and larger passenger area than others I looked at. The IRS really makes a difference over rough terrain.

I made a minor adjustment to the governor and cruise at 22mph vs the 19mph it started its life at. Yamaha is known for reliability so I did not mind spending the $$ for the piece of mind and much better warranty.

If I were to compare it to my bro-in-laws EZ-GO electric, I'd say it was like comparing a Mercedes to his Chevy. I am not bashing his EZ-GO just making a comparison based on my opinion.

Good luck in your decision making.
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 02:50 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Just my opinion (and everyone has their own)

Gas is definitely the way to go over electric, especially if you plan to own it long term and plan to drive it every day (or nearly every day). When you run out of gas, just fill it back up and you're good to go. And a full tank will last you a loooooooooooooong time. With electric, you have to put a more maintenance into making sure the batteries are maintained, charged, etc. And you may get 15 miles out of a full charge, but then you're down 6+ hours waiting for it to recharge.

With a gas cart, normal basic maintenance (oil change, spark plug, air filter, etc) just like anything else is all that's really necessary. Occasional wear items (clutches, belt, brakes, etc) but any of those components should last a very, very long time before having to worry about it.

Plus, 5-6 years down the road you don't have to worry about forking over $800 for new batteries because they've outlived their useful life. As long as it is maintained reasonably, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to get 20+ years of reliable service out of it.
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 02:59 PM   #5
Whipped500
Not Yet Wild

What intrigued me about the 17 PTV that I found is that was only bought about a year ago so it has some warranty left. It's priced at $7k with only 20hrs. But it looks like a regular white top and seats and not lifted with nothing special for wheels. It is gray or silver and does have a rear seat. With me just starting to look, I don't know if this is a fair price or not? Later on I would add possibly a 3" lift and wheels and tires but not necessary right now. Right now I am looking for a good base to start with. I know it's hard to judge without seeing but how does $7k sound? High, low, about right?

Thanks
Old 08-21-2018, 03:08 PM   #6
Godfather
Getting Wild

Shop around. I believe MSRP is $6500. I have rear seat, windshield, mirror, 10” wheels with larger tires all for not much more than the 2017 you are looking at.

Disclaimer....I sold the stock, new, tires and wheels for $200.
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 04:09 PM   #7
Whipped500
Not Yet Wild

Wow! I built an '18 online similar to the one I saw and it was almost$10k. The seller said they paid just under $9 for it last year so that's why I was still looking at it. I thought it may be a fair price? Basically buy an almost new cart for what I was hoping would be $6500 and still have ~3 years of warranty.

The dealers I look at around here are about $6-$8k for about 2008-2010ish (all brands). Also, they are most likely coming off lease from a golf course and then putting new parts on to look nice, so who knows how good the drivetrain is?
Old 08-21-2018, 04:32 PM   #8
TheAspec
Gone Wild

$7K is too much for a used cart with 20 hours. I paid less than this for mine, brand new 2018 with 0.2 on the hour gauge.

Where are you located?
Old 08-21-2018, 04:38 PM   #9
Whipped500
Not Yet Wild

Southern Wisconsin

I really only wanted to spend about $3500 and then still have some money to put into it to make nicer or more to my liking.
Old 08-21-2018, 04:48 PM   #10
TheAspec
Gone Wild

I would call every Yamaha dealer within 200 miles and see what they are selling 2018-19 Quietech's for. Many dealers will even deliver for a small fee.

Make sure you are comparing apples to apples too... the Quietech is also available in fleet and PTV. I would highly recommend the PTV version.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha