lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-23-2021, 11:37 AM   #1
ihoc22
Not Yet Wild

Default Vanguard 23hp G29 Install Help

Anyone installed the 23hp Briggs and Stratton? I have a G29, but I imagine the part I'm having trouble with is universal. I can't see where to run the throttle wire properly so it's tugging just enough to make the engine idle up where it wants to move in gear. Also wondering if the stock alternator would be used, or if the one on the engine is enough. Zipped the throttle to bypass the governor, temp fix but i wanted to show how the throttle wire was running down there as well.
ihoc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-23-2021, 10:15 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Vanguard 23hp G29 Install Help

If your stock cable is too short you'll have to get a longer one. You can also fab up a throttle extension by using a bell crank type device. I've made several throttle bell cranks and they have worked really well for me. The beauty is you can have multiple mounting points to compensate for the different amount of travel you might have between the pedal and the briggs carb. You can find that in my Briggs 23 build.

You can use the factory starter/generator. You have to have a v pulley behind your primary clutch. You can get those at Vegas Carts and CPP. The starter/generator will then start and stop like the golf cart setup. Otherwise you have to use the Briggs starter and a key switch like a car. The Briggs will have a built in alternator, however, they come in all different amperage ratings. You'll have to look in the paperwork/specs for that engine to determine what you have.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 07:41 AM   #3
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

I saw your pics on FB. If you're trying to utilize the land speed governor on the cart, you'll never be happy.

My 23 was a factory governor delete and the only option was to run the OEM cable from the pedal directly to the throttle on the carb.
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 10:23 PM   #4
ihoc22
Not Yet Wild

Any thoughts on increasing the alternator output? The engine has a 16amp, but when I hit the floods the battery volts drop to about 10.
ihoc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 10:26 PM   #5
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihoc22 View Post
Any thoughts on increasing the alternator output? The engine has a 16amp, but when I hit the floods the battery volts drop to about 10.
You must be running a lot of wattage? One easy way to get more amps is to run a V belt off of the crank to a small one wire alternator from a tractor. Some are as high as 65 amps, any more than that and you'll have to get a larger automotive style alternator. There are some Delco models that are one wire. I've seen some pretty nice little setups on here if you do a search.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!