lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-20-2023, 02:33 PM   #1
project H
Not Yet Wild

Default Wet clutch issue

79 Harley 3 wheel. I bought it knowing it would need some work, barley running when I bought it. I replaced starter/generator, piston rings, plug and plug wire points and condenser. Trying to start the engine the starter wont turn the engine enough to get it to start. Starter turns, and turns belt enough to drive on the belt, but crank turns slowly and intermittently. Looking at the "wet clutch", center plate on the back of the clutch is missing as is the plug where the gear oil should go in. Pulling the belt, it looks like some one welded the engine side of the shaft. There is unusual belt wear on the welded side. Clutch seems true and does not seem to wobble. My guess is a clutch issue (crank turns consistently when turning clutch by hand), If its a clutch issue, do I need to replace completely or can I just rebuild it?
project H is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-20-2023, 03:01 PM   #2
Joe the Harley guy
Not Yet Wild

Harley Davidson

Default Re: Wet clutch issue

The half of the clutch near the motor where the starter belt rides should have a key to lock it to the crankshaft. Maybe whoever welded the crankshaft left that out?

Here is an 'exploded view' of mine, the crankshaft broke were it was poorly welded.

Maybe post a picture of yours?
Joe the Harley guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clutch, rebuild, wet clutch
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson