lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-12-2021, 05:22 PM   #1
tinkerhaus
Not Yet Wild

Default Upgradeability of RXV

I am in the market for a new cart and am considering an RXV this time (coming from Yamaha 48V). I am looking at a 2016 model with the "fleet" controller loaded with S/W 4.1.

I know I will want to add new springs in the back to support rear seating, and from reading a bit in the forum it seems like the "fleet" carts are limited in speed from the factory but they can be unlocked.

Is that something I can do myself? I read that there are people on this forum who have the knowledge but I am in WA and I think the expert in question only goes up and down the eastern US?

What are my options? Will I need a new solenoid and motor too, or are the OEM ones workable with a modified/upgraded controller? Can I think about 72V or lithium in the future with stock motor?

Thank you
tinkerhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-12-2021, 06:31 PM   #2
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Upgradeability of RXV

When the time comes and you want that controller upgraded get back with me.
That cart with 20.5" tires should go 30mph.
usgicollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 11:02 AM   #3
Monstermaker
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I’m in WA too. The guy who can program the stock controllers is in the southeast and I tried to get mine done and only got dead ends…
So I did what I’m very solidly convinced is a FAR better thing, installed s Navitas Tac2 600 amp controller.
Advantages over the stock one are many.
You can tune it yourself wirelessly via the smartphone app.
The app gives you a dash display with full instrumentation (speedo, rpm, motor temperature, current to motor, battery voltage, and much more).
You can quickly and easily enter a top speed number at any time and that’s how fast the cart will go, uphill or down.
I keep mine at 17 so my wife or neighbors won’t kill themselves in it, but I can turn it up whenever I want. Even at my usual 17 MPH setting, it’s got much more torque than stock and goes uphill better.
You can also lock the controller so the cart won’t run when you park it somewhere.
It’s often claimed on here that the stock controller outperforms the Navitas when properly reprogrammed but I don’t know if I believe that, I’ve yet to see a test between two otherwise-similar carts.

You should put in a larger solenoid, but that’s cheap and easy.

You’ll want to go to larger battery cables, they make a dramatic difference if you have hills to climb. 2-gauge is the standard go-to, I skipped that and went straight to 2/0, WAY bigger.
Monstermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 11:10 AM   #4
Monstermaker
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Oh, and yes, if you run the Navitas you can go to 72 volts, with your stock motor.
I have a rear seat and did not install heavy duty springs because they ride harder. I haven’t seen any need for them, nor have my two neighbors with similar RXVs.
I’d say try it first on the stock springs, then add stiffer ones if you find you want them.
Monstermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 09:05 PM   #5
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monstermaker View Post
I’m in WA too. The guy who can program the stock controllers is in the southeast and I tried to get mine done and only got dead ends…
So I did what I’m very solidly convinced is a FAR better thing, installed s Navitas Tac2 600 amp controller.
The app gives you a dash display with full instrumentation (speedo, rpm, motor temperature, current to motor, battery voltage, and much more).
You can quickly and easily enter a top speed number at any time and that’s how fast the cart will go, uphill or down.
I keep mine at 17 so my wife or neighbors won’t kill themselves in it, but I can turn it up whenever I want. Even at my usual 17 MPH setting, it’s got much more torque than stock and goes uphill better.
You can also lock the controller so the cart won’t run when you park it somewhere.
It’s often claimed on here that the stock controller outperforms the Navitas when properly reprogrammed but I don’t know if I believe that, I’ve yet to see a test between two otherwise-similar carts.

You’ll want to go to larger battery cables, they make a dramatic difference if you have hills to climb. 2-gauge is the standard go-to, I skipped that and went straight to 2/0, WAY bigger.
Also, if you want and have a battery that can supply it... You can config a TAC2 traction inverter @ 72VDC nominal at 450A continuous. I know... I have done it.
Imapled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 01:55 AM   #6
tinkerhaus
Not Yet Wild

Thank you all for sharing your insight.
tinkerhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 03:01 PM   #7
Lsarg27
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monstermaker View Post

What is the advantage to the larger solenoid?
Lsarg27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO