lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-12-2021, 03:29 PM   #1
justcruisin
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default New batteries, ERIC bubbling them

I bought a used 2015 Precedent a few years ago. The batteries had been swapped out by the wholesaler and were really old.

So I replaced them with new FLA batteries.

Problem is I can hear them bubbling when they charge.

Is there some way to adjust the charging profile?

Thanks
justcruisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-12-2021, 03:59 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: New batteries, ERIC boiling them

Bubbling is good and 100% normal. This is necessary to prevent sulfation while they charge.

Charging voltage should go up to around 60 volts +/- while charging. Also completely normal.

As long as the cables are good and not getting hot, I would not suspect any issues.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 05:06 PM   #3
justcruisin
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Bubbling is good and 100% normal. This is necessary to prevent sulfation while they charge.

Charging voltage should go up to around 60 volts +/- while charging. Also completely normal.

As long as the cables are good and not getting hot, I would not suspect any issues.
Thank you!

It sounds like when you crack open a Sprite or 7UP and pour it fast into a cold glass. Just a much louder fizzing than with the old wornout batteries.
Old 11-12-2021, 05:41 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: New batteries, ERIC bubbling them

The older worn out batteries probably had quite a bit of sulfation. As I understand it, the more of the plates that are exposed the more bubbly they charge. As they age the sulfation creates a fur coat on the plates, which exposes less of them. Less exposed, less chemical reaction, less charge and less power. The bubbling action helps to prevent them from acquiring the fur coat, and the bubbles agitate the “fur” to the bottom of the battery where it accumulates over time. While the “bubbling” is desired and a good thing, it isn’t necessarily “on purpose”. But rather just a chemical reaction that is a bi-product of the charging process.

If any of this is incorrect I’m sure someone will correct me, there’s much more knowledgeable folks at this stuff than me. But based on the research I’ve done, the above holds true :)
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 07:18 PM   #5
movin-on
Gone Wild
Club Car

Yes, there are different algorithms for the make of your batteries with an Eric charger...What do you have for batteries......
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 07:58 PM   #6
justcruisin
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin-on View Post
Yes, there are different algorithms for the make of your batteries with an Eric charger...What do you have for batteries......
6 8-volt flooded lead acid batteries from a local battery shop.

Volt Pro

VP GC8V

CG2-8/170 (T-875)

170Ah

Made in Ecuador
Old 11-13-2021, 06:49 AM   #7
movin-on
Gone Wild
Club Car

If you have the original profile (algorithm) from Club Car for PD+ batteries it is too aggressive for those batteries...Rather than me having to explain the process, go to this post and scroll down to jonr3's post..It will show you how to look at the profile you have now and how to change it..I would use algorithm 71 for those batteries...Let me know if you need help..

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/show...gorithm&page=2
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 10:38 AM   #8
SoFLCart
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post

I am glad this is a good thing because I have heard this happen in my batteries as well.
SoFLCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 02:26 PM   #9
justcruisin
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin-on View Post
If you have the original profile (algorithm) from Club Car for PD+ batteries it is too aggressive for those batteries...Rather than me having to explain the process, go to this post and scroll down to jonr3's post..It will show you how to look at the profile you have now and how to change it..I would use algorithm 71 for those batteries...Let me know if you need help..

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/show...gorithm&page=2
Thank you!
Old 11-27-2021, 04:42 PM   #10
justcruisin
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Hello,

Does anyone have the software update for ERIC mentioned here?

I tried loading algo 71 but my ERIC just flashes the orange triangle.

Thanks
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car