lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-09-2021, 07:19 PM   #1
AZ_Dad
Not Yet Wild

Default Big block muffler

Any recommendations for a budget conscious, simple, quiet muffler? I picked up a new cart this week and it’s awesome but you can’t talk to the people right next to you.
AZ_Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-11-2021, 07:09 AM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Big block muffler

What engine are you dealing with?

Most stock mufflers that come with the engines today are decently quiet, and are sound rated to meet epa requirements etc. With a bigger engine, sound always going to be louder than a stock golf cart.

I have experimented with several mufflers for my past projects. The one that I liked best is a universal tractor muffler found at any tractor dealer or supply. I have also used factor atv mufflers and they sound pretty good, like an atv.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 08:32 AM   #3
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I bumped my thread on clone exhaust. You can see what other have tried on their cart. Even if you are using a Vtwin this should give you some direction as they seem a little easier to quiet down.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 12:02 PM   #4
AZ_Dad
Not Yet Wild

Thanks guys. Sorry, it’s a Honda vtwin. I bought it and have words every day since so I just started messing with it. The header has a leak which I think is why it is really really loud:)
AZ_Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 06:31 AM   #5
Nate07ezgo
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I found an old atv muffler that made a huge difference in sound. The old exhaust was way to loud for the neighborhood going down the road. (late at night) This is on an 18hp vanguard, the muffler was just slightly bigger than the header pipe.

The last pic is a pic of the old exhaust I was using.

Now you just get the motor noise.

Exhaust ($10.00) from atv mechanic in town
Attached Images
File Type: jpg exhaust 1.jpg (91.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Exhaust 2.jpg (85.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Exhaust 3.jpg (70.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Exhaust 4.jpg (99.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Exhaust 5.jpg (101.2 KB, 0 views)
Nate07ezgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 06:36 AM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate07ezgo View Post
I found an old atv muffler that made a huge difference in sound. The old exhaust was way to loud for the neighborhood going down the road. (late at night) This is on an 18hp vanguard, the muffler was just slightly bigger than the header pipe.

The last pic is a pic of the old exhaust I was using.

Now you just get the motor noise.

Exhaust ($10.00) from atv mechanic in town
I have used atv mufflers before with good luck, they usually sound pretty nice. Just make sure the engine size of the atv was similar to the engine size you are using. Most stock atv's are quiet enough for most neighborhoods.
Old 09-14-2023, 08:43 AM   #7
Nate07ezgo
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
I have used atv mufflers before with good luck, they usually sound pretty nice. Just make sure the engine size of the atv was similar to the engine size you are using. Most stock atv's are quiet enough for most neighborhoods.
Slonomo,

I am not sure of the engine size from the atv, but the pipe was slightly bigger than the exhaust on the vanguard. That is what the atv mechanic was concerned with. He didnt mention the engine size. Whats your thoughts on that?
Nate07ezgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 08:17 PM   #8
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate07ezgo View Post
Slonomo,

I am not sure of the engine size from the atv, but the pipe was slightly bigger than the exhaust on the vanguard. That is what the atv mechanic was concerned with. He didnt mention the engine size. Whats your thoughts on that?
Well, the pipe size is not the only factor. Inside the muffler there is a silencer/spark arrestor that usually chokes down the size a bit. As long as it runs good it and it's quiet enough, it really doesn't matter. Quiet is important too.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!