lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-03-2021, 09:22 AM   #1
UncleJerm76
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Introducing CALB cells -and- is the switch to 72v worth it?

Haven’t found anyone else using CALB cells on here so I thought I’d give it a go. They have good 3C discharge rates (600A for for a few seconds and 200A continuous). Best of all even though it’s a brand new large 200ah pack, it was still very affordable @ $1700. They have a tough ribbed durable hard plastic shell and because of this according to the manufacturer they don’t need compression.

I previously had 8 very large 6v trojans (T-145 Plus) to get the extra range and switching to these 200ah cell not only extended my range further but pack weight dropped 424lbs.

I’ll say the one drawback to the CALB is their size. That sturdy hard plastic shell does increase the size quite a bit and I had to modify the battery trays in my DS to fit everything in there—I’m jealous of you guys that have a flat battery compartment! I’m pleased to find I still have plenty of room to order a few more and step up to 72v ...but I’m on the fence. I know it will be faster more tq but is it worth the extra investment? Should I just use the extra space as storage for long rides? I would need a new controller & motor as well which is a significant amount more considering I already own a D&D ES-58 and a $1000 FSIP controller. Id like to hear from those of you who made the 72v investment and your honest opinions if it was worth it or not.

Here’s a pic of the progress so far, obviously I'm in the very early stages and need to decide on 72v or stay 48v before i go much farther.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
UncleJerm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-03-2021, 11:36 AM   #2
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Default Re: Introducing CALB cells & should I switch to 72v?

I have seen the CALB cells advertised on some of the EV sites and I understand that they are a quality battery.

Looks like a great install so far ... nice to get the higher discharge rated cells
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 01:44 PM   #3
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Introducing CALB cells -and- is the switch to 72v worth it?

I wouldn't call 3C for a "few seconds" all that great. You have to go with the 200AH cells to get enough discharge rate for a decent golf cart. Do any US suppliers have these? No way would I order them directly from China.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 05:57 PM   #4
UncleJerm76
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Introducing CALB cells -and- is the switch to 72v worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeCW View Post
I have seen the CALB cells advertised on some of the EV sites and I understand that they are a quality battery.

Looks like a great install so far ... nice to get the higher discharge rated cells

Thanks ThreeCW, the EV forums are where I learned about these cells and they have high praises from that sector. For my uses I’ve never even hit 600a during a dead stop acceleration (and that was with 400lbs more of lead acid batteries and big soft deflated balloon tires) so I know they are overkill and will work out great now that it’s primarily a neighborhood cart. Now I just have to figure out if 72v is right for me before I go much farther.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-03-2021, 10:33 PM   #5
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

If those are the SE200AHA CALB Lithium LiFePO4 Cell Batteries, they should have the following discharge ratings:

MAX CONSTANT DISCHARGE CURRENT - 200A

MAX PULSE DISCHARGE CURRENT (3 min) - 400A

MAX PULSE DISCHARGE CURRENT (10 sec) - 600A

This info was from:
https://www.electriccarpartscompany....B-SE-Batteries

Not sure if I am comparing apples to apples as these are priced at $260 each x 16 = $4160
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 08:11 AM   #6
Nick_Wesolowski
Not Yet Wild

Where did you purchase those cells? I'm in the market and these check all my boxes.
Nick_Wesolowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 03:27 PM   #7
UncleJerm76
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_Wesolowski View Post
Where did you purchase those cells? I'm in the market and these check all my boxes.
Price has dropped since I purchased. Just make sure they fit before you purchase. They are very large and you have to factor in whatever kind of securing you plan to do.
US $1,386.00 30% Off | NEW 16PCS CALB 3.2v 200Ah LiFePO4 Rechargeable Battery Grade A 200AH Plastic SE200AH
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKLGdHU
Old 11-09-2021, 03:30 PM   #8
UncleJerm76
Gone Wild

Club Car

Any comments on if switching to 72v is worth it given that I’m already running a big amp controller and D&D big motor?
Old 11-10-2021, 01:40 PM   #9
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

What's your motivation for 72V? Are you looking for more speed? More torque?

If you are happy with the speed and torque then I don't see a reason to spend more to upgrade.

You live in FL, like me, so you likely don't have any hills that'll slow down your 48v lithium cart.

My cart on a 56v pack would hit 32mph until I reduced the max RPM. 32mph in my particular cart was scary. That was at 6k rpm. If you want 30+ and you have big tires then you can get 30+ on your current setup. If you want a torque monster because you pull a trailer remember that you are 400+ pounds lighter so when you pull you'll end up doing a lot of unintentional wheelies. When I pull the float in the Christmas Parade I hang 40lbs of weight on the front axle and I keep a 'robust' passenger with me in the cart to help keep the front wheels on the ground...
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 05:49 PM   #10
UncleJerm76
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsonj View Post
What's your motivation for 72V? Are you looking for more speed? More torque?

If you are happy with the speed and torque then I don't see a reason to spend more to upgrade.

You live in FL, like me, so you likely don't have any hills that'll slow down your 48v lithium cart.

My cart on a 56v pack would hit 32mph until I reduced the max RPM. 32mph in my particular cart was scary. That was at 6k rpm. If you want 30+ and you have big tires then you can get 30+ on your current setup. If you want a torque monster because you pull a trailer remember that you are 400+ pounds lighter so when you pull you'll end up doing a lot of unintentional wheelies. When I pull the float in the Christmas Parade I hang 40lbs of weight on the front axle and I keep a 'robust' passenger with me in the cart to help keep the front wheels on the ground...
Thanks bronsonj, I needed that - I have zero complaints with my current setup on 48v. Its already too fast for me and I keep the diff in low gear 99% of the time anyway. Really, my only motivation was that I now have plenty of room to do it and if I was going to - now is the time while Ive got it all apart. I'll stick to 48v.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium