lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-08-2021, 04:19 AM   #11
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Ampere Time LifePo4 12v 50ah batteries

I looked up the MinnKotta 4400PCL and it’s isolated so you’re good there.

I saw Will’s video on the battery a few weeks ago and he gave it a good review, but the issue here is the 50A continuous current limitation. That battery can supply 50A continuous and 51A-100A for 5 seconds. It will trip instantly at over 100A. I believe your cart will draw more than 50A continuous when loaded. If you try climbing any hill for longer that 5 seconds you’re done for as you’ll definitely be drawing well over 50A on an incline. That battery is just not designed for high current draw.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-08-2021, 12:46 PM   #12
benjylafond
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat911 View Post
I looked up the MinnKotta 4400PCL and it’s isolated so you’re good there.

I saw Will’s video on the battery a few weeks ago and he gave it a good review, but the issue here is the 50A continuous current limitation. That battery can supply 50A continuous and 51A-100A for 5 seconds. It will trip instantly at over 100A. I believe your cart will draw more than 50A continuous when loaded. If you try climbing any hill for longer that 5 seconds you’re done for as you’ll definitely be drawing well over 50A on an incline. That battery is just not designed for high current draw.

I live on the coast of South Carolina, so hills aren't an issue. I'm definitely pushing the limit with the current draw. Figured I would take a chance given what someone else said about the 50AH Roypower pack not giving him any issues and it has same draw limits. If these don't work for my application I'll return the batteries and make the decision if I want to build my own pack or get RoyPow or one of the other 100AH packs available. Just figured I'd try this since the cost (including charger) is about equal to what I'd pay for 6 new 8v Trojans.

Thanks for the input. I'll certainly post my impressions/results once I get the batteries balanced and installed.
benjylafond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 04:15 PM   #13
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Yes, please come back and post your results as they will be of interest to many here.
Old 10-13-2021, 07:44 PM   #14
benjylafond
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Got the batteries and charger today. Well packaged, good instructions. Checked batterieps wpith voltmeter. 3 at 13.18 and 1 at 13.16. Set up charger, connected and am charging tonighy. Will connect batteries in parallel tomorrow and let sit for 24 hours to balance per manufapcturer'ps instructions.
Old 10-14-2021, 01:36 AM   #15
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Check the final settling voltage after the charger turns off. If they are too far apart you may get large currents flowing that will trip the BMS.
Old 10-14-2021, 08:55 AM   #16
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

When connecting in parallel, it's a good idea to connect through a resistance like a headlamp bulb. That will limit the current but still allow the batteries to balance just fine.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 03:49 PM   #17
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Good solution.
Old 10-22-2021, 08:10 PM   #18
benjylafond
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Been a little slow with the project. Wife has projects for me that she considers higher priority. But so far I have the batteries balanced. Final resting voltage at 13.72 for all batteries. I cleaned up the battery "boxes" that are part of frame wiht battery terminal cleaner and then a wire brush and sander. Amazing how much the aliminum corroded from my lead acid batteries even though I didn't have any leaks. Cut 1/2 inch PVC panels to create a floor in all of the battery trays to keep mud, water, etc. from getting into battery area from underneath. Bolted those through the frame with stainless bolts and lock nuts. Charger and batteries are mounted and secured. Now I'm just debating whether to remove the OBC Completely or do the simple yellow wire OBC bypass. Getting lazy so probably will do the bypass. I'm chasing an electrical gremlin with the headlights and taillights that I want to fix before I button everything up and test the batteries though. I think it has to do with how tight the area behind the panel where the key switch and headlight switch is, something may be getting pinched. May fab a shim that bumps the panel out an inch or so just to get rid of this problem. Hopefully get it running this weekend. I'll post some pics and update tomorrow or sunday.
Old 10-22-2021, 08:17 PM   #19
benjylafond
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

One more thing. On the OBC, currently, OBC yellow wire is connected to M- on Alltrax and yellow wire from solenoid negative is connected to B- on alltrax. Does that mean I've already done bypass and just don't remember it? (I am getting old), or do I need to disconnect the OBC yellow wire from and cap it off and my bypass is done?

Thanks.
Old 10-22-2021, 10:43 PM   #20
Reddawg454
Grumpy Old Guy

Club Car

I've had a drink or 2 but when I see you say you're hooking these up in parallel I become confused. I've never seen a 12 volt cart. What am I missing?
Reddawg454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium