lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-25-2021, 03:26 PM   #1
shanegtrytten
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

Default cart wont run no matter what i try I'm stumped

79 harley.. ran good then drive clutch went out.. rebuilt and ran good again but only for a couple miles then gas was leaking out exhaust i replaced carb (new) then i could go in reverse ok but not forward trying to fix this ive replaced gas,fuel lines,filter,plug,points,condenser it then ran good on jack stands... under load back to the same issue.... the motor is running with some white smoke out exhaust...good compression in forward and reverse... drive clutch moves in some but not all the way thanks for the help I'm stumped
shanegtrytten is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-26-2021, 09:22 AM   #2
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Re: cart wont run no matter what i try I'm stumped

Man, you have a tough one there. I am assuming you didn't mess with your timing at all so you should be ok there.

How confident are you that you rebuilt the clutch right? The only thing that I can think of is that it is still not functioning properly and isn't allowing your cart to rev up. This would explain the excess in fuel coming out of the muffler.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 05:30 AM   #3
shanegtrytten
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

thanks for the reply.... i did mess with the timing after replacing all these parts with little results I did what the book says for timing .022 tdc just opening and just opening.... the clutch I had a guy on the phone that walked me thru it that's done many but it's crossing my mind also that maybe something let go but I also did put some miles on after the clutch rebuild.... the fuel out the exhaust has stopped since changing the carb... is there anyway of knowing it's the clutch without taking it apart? I'd hate to if i dont have to... thanks for any help this has been a battle off and on most of the summer
Old 07-27-2021, 07:52 AM   #4
crash12888
Gone Crazy

I would remove the drive belt and concentrate on getting the engine starting, running and revving consistently before worrying about the clutch.
It might act properly once you get some RPMs from the engine.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 04:17 PM   #5
shanegtrytten
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

I took the belt off the motor is running and the clutch moves inward in forward and reverse what could stop it f4om moving with the belt on?
Old 07-28-2021, 09:22 AM   #6
Lochlin
Gone Wild

If the engine is purring with no load (drive belt not attached) but is bogged under load (drive belt attached) then it does seem like you have a clutch problem somewhere still.
Old 08-02-2021, 08:56 PM   #7
shanegtrytten
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

so I found today that I had a throttle cable binding and finally broke... I suppose it wasn't quite opening the carb to the max... the exhaust was off when I started it and ran carb manual open the clutch sucked all the way in... then I installed exhaust and it's bogging again gonna burn out exhaust and replace cable and pray it's running again... I'm unsure of the cable assembly it goes into a rectangular metal block near the pedal is this suppose to pivot?
Old 08-03-2021, 08:53 AM   #8
Lochlin
Gone Wild

That metal block is not supposed to pivot at all. It sounds like yours may need replaced.
Old 08-03-2021, 09:32 AM   #9
shanegtrytten
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

1 side of the block was missing a bolt as to why I'm confused on what and how this needs to be done or if it's missing more parts.. with bolts in both sides and tightened the throttle cable is binding right after the block and between first ancor to frame ... do you know how to set this?
Old 08-03-2021, 11:43 AM   #10
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Can you post any pictures?
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson