lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-25-2021, 07:36 AM   #1
69mock1
Not Yet Wild

Default Which Charger to buy/use??

I have a custom built 14s 48v 2017 Li-NMC 2017 Chevy Bolt battery pack/bank a local shop built for me. It has a 400A msd as well as a BMS.

Since my cart came with six 8v lead acid batteries, my existing ERIC Charger won’t get the job done now.

It’s Also my understanding that the Chevy Bolt algorithm will need to be download it into my charger so that it’s programmed with the correct charge profile. My shop will be taking care of that.

I looked through hell and high water at chargers for this pack and I’m still unsure on which to get. For what it’s worth I still have the club car stock 3 pound female plug for the ERIC charger but I can always change that if necessary. Any advice is much appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 63713A87-7CF2-40B8-B067-DC01EC487932.jpg (143.1 KB, 0 views)
69mock1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-26-2021, 09:57 AM   #2
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Which Charger to buy/use??

Really any Constant Current Power Supply that will stop at 57.6v (4.11vpc) would work. I picked up Luna Cycle Charger with the 80%, 90% or 100% charge knob. So while 58.8V (4.2vpc) is the max it shortens the life of the lithium pack. I put my charger to 80% and it cuts off at 57.6v which is perfect for me.

https://lunacycle.com/luna-charger-5...ebike-charger/

Now, it is slow so charging is an overnight endeavor, but I have it mounted in the cart so I can charge whenever I want/need.

In addition I bought one of those 58.8v chargers you see on amazon/ebay but I haven't adjusted the voltage on it down to what I need yet, the luna charger is just too easy... But if I were to buy it again then I'd get this instead:
https://www.evcomponents.com/elcon-t...w-charger.html
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 06:12 AM   #3
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Just re-read my prior post and I said I wouldn't buy the Luna charger again. That's not true.

The Luna has been working great. It really still is my main charger simply because it's mounted onboard and is so easy to use. Yes, it does take it's time, but the price with the built in 80/90/100 knob is just too good to pass up. Whether it's your primary or backup charger it's worth the $100.

I did get a second charger and I have yet to pull it apart to find the adjustment pot to set the final voltage. It's on my todo list......
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 08:41 AM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

One important note on the Luna Charger 80,90,100% knob. It does not change the final voltage - it just terminates the charge early. This is ok for occasional charging but you want to taper the current down to zero at the final charge voltage - which I was disappointed that it does not do. I use this charger for my Ebike batteries and as a backup for my two Lithium carts but it's far from ideal for charging to less than 100%.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium