lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-03-2021, 06:21 PM   #1
kmercr
Not Yet Wild

Question Engine Runs without pressing Gas when key is on

Hey there, thank you for taking time to read this thread.
I have a 2015 EZGO TXT gas golf cart. The battery had died and we connected a battery charger. After disconnecting the charger, I turned the key on, and the engine started running on its own. Turned the key off and the engine stopped. I checked the throttle cable and nothing seemed to be sticking. Any ideas what the problem could be? I've been told that it could be the solenoid. Would a faulty solenoid cause this issue? Or did we fry something by charging the battery?
kmercr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-03-2021, 06:40 PM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Engine Runs without pressing Gas when key is on

If it was the solenoid, you wouldn't be able to shut it off. It's a stuck microswitch. Probably in the pedal, but we would have to see a wiring diagram.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 06:47 PM   #3
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
If it was the solenoid, you wouldn't be able to shut it off. It's a stuck microswitch. Probably in the pedal, but we would have to see a wiring diagram.
I was wondering about a reverse polarized battery and if that could possibly bypass the throttle pedal switch and energize the solenoid with only the key switch. That gives me a headache trying to track power backwards. If the battery was stone dead, and you hooked a charger to it backwards, the battery would charge positive ground. I might be chasing a rabbit through briers with that line of thinking. Of course the starter would be running backwards, and the motor wouldn't crank, and it sounds like a first class way to blow an ignitor, but could it possibly energize the solenoid with key switch ? I think it might. Battery negative would now be battery positive, hooked to chassis ground. One primary contact of the solenoid is hooked to chassis ground. The other primary contact is now looking for ground on what used to be positive connections, one of which is direct to the key switch. Sound far fetched ?
sthreatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 07:52 PM   #4
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Here is a wiring diagram. It might help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wiring for 2015 txt gas golf cart.jpg (59.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg more wiring on 2015 ezgo.jpg (154.7 KB, 0 views)
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 07:45 AM   #5
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I'm thinking broken or stuck micro switch in the pedal control box. It is failed in the closed position, so it energizes the circuit as soon as the key is turned on. Key turns it off. Basically acting as if the pedal is pressed all the time. Wouldn't affect throttle control, just on/off. Need to pull the mat under the pedals, and a metal or plastic panel, then remove the cover over the box, and it is right in there. Green and red wires attach to it, and normally closes on very slight movement of the pedal, just before movement of the throttle.
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 08:01 AM   #6
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPonLKN View Post
I'm thinking broken or stuck micro switch in the pedal control box. It is failed in the closed position, so it energizes the circuit as soon as the key is turned on. Key turns it off. Basically acting as if the pedal is pressed all the time. Wouldn't affect throttle control, just on/off. Need to pull the mat under the pedals, and a metal or plastic panel, then remove the cover over the box, and it is right in there. Green and red wires attach to it, and normally closes on very slight movement of the pedal, just before movement of the throttle.
On a GAS cart ?
Old 06-04-2021, 09:33 AM   #7
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthreatt View Post
On a GAS cart ?
YES!
Cartmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 10:35 AM   #8
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartmaster View Post
YES!
Did not know that. Never had a problem with one I guess. Used to working with Marathon with pedal switch under the driver's butt. So apparently it's the same as an electric with a cable taking the place of an ITS. A microswitch busted in the closed position very well could explain the posters problem.
Old 06-04-2021, 01:03 PM   #9
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Try pulling back on the throttle pedal and try it.....
If that doesn't work, remove the floor mat to access the micro switch box and first, toggle the pedal to see if you hear the micro clicking, if not try adjusting it so the pedal activates it. if not then disconnect the start micro and try it.
If that cures the problem, replace the micro
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 07:16 PM   #10
Shaner99
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Out of curiosity, would there be anything wrong with leaving it like it is, or just bypassing the switch all together? Only asking because I've thought about doing that to my txt.
Shaner99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charged battery, engine running by itself, key switched on
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO