lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Garage and Workshop
Garage and Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-29-2020, 06:42 PM   #11
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Welder

For a first time welder and someone who wouldn't use a welder that much I would look for a good used Lincoln , Miller or Hobart stick welder AC/DC. You can find one cheap and wouldn't have to bother with Argon gas.

I have been welding since high school which was a long time ago ( 1965 ) and I still use the same Lincoln I did back then.

I just never seen the need for a wire welder but that's just me . I use both 6011 and 7018 low-hydrogen rods. I also never weld new metal and I am in no hurry. I think you could weld dirt with a 6011

All you would need would be a 220 outlet and your in business. Just keep those welding rods dry

My welding has led me to be an excellent grinder lol
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-29-2020, 06:47 PM   #12
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I have had two HF welders, both flux core wire fed. The first one went bad after two projects, maybe 30 minutes of weld time. Took it back and upgraded. The second was good, but the duty cycle sucked amd it would fade in power and start welding crappy. Sold that one and spent $700 on a new Lincoln 140 at a local welding supply. Holy cow was i missing out!!! This thing welds so nice that it makes me feel like a pro compared to the HF welders. And thats without gas!

My rec is the Lincoln 140. You can use it with or without gas.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 07:52 PM   #13
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I moved up from the el cheapo HF flux unit to the eastwood 135 mig. I am certainly no pro but I think the eastwood is great for the home shop needs. One step up would be the mig 175 that comes with a spool gun for welding aluminum and that is just under $500 right now.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 04:25 PM   #14
miker
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

here's my two cents worth,I've been welding for over thirty years,gasless is the way to go. Flux core will burn the the paint rust and not so perfect metal save your pennies and get one that does 110 and 220.And one you can hitch a gas bottle up to.Your better off getting the machine that does the job you want, multi machines just dont have the electronics to do them all. here are some of the things i've made with my lincoln 175
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170116_074326.jpg (288.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20170117_160039.jpg (378.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20170213_130318.jpg (211.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20180304_123554.jpg (466.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20180304_123740.jpg (491.6 KB, 0 views)
miker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 08:47 PM   #15
ProjectClubCar
Gone Broke

Club Car

y'all are like 3 post too late, I already pulled the trigger,on the 170, my buddy who is an offshore welder said he would help me with the gas set up, he definitely says I need the gas....
ProjectClubCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 09:40 PM   #16
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by miker View Post
here's my two cents worth,I've been welding for over thirty years,gasless is the way to go. Flux core will burn the the paint rust and not so perfect metal save your pennies and get one that does 110 and 220.And one you can hitch a gas bottle up to.Your better off getting the machine that does the job you want, multi machines just dont have the electronics to do them all. here are some of the things i've made with my lincoln 175
That's a pretty neat setup miker. Good job
Old 12-01-2020, 08:48 AM   #17
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectClubCar View Post
y'all are like 3 post too late, I already pulled the trigger,on the 170, my buddy who is an offshore welder said he would help me with the gas set up, he definitely says I need the gas....
Once you start welding, a whole new world of possibilities opens up to you. Besides 3 welders, I bought a plasma cutter, and I'm watching for a lathe.

I've always had access to an incredible amount of metal working tools at work. Now I'm building my retirement workshop. Ten years before I need to finish it.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 08:04 AM   #18
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
Once you start welding, a whole new world of possibilities opens up to you.

It's amazing what you will be welding. Just when you think the project hits a wall....."Oh yeah, I have a welder....."
Old 12-02-2020, 08:22 AM   #19
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
Once you start welding, a whole new world of possibilities opens up to you. Besides 3 welders, I bought a plasma cutter, and I'm watching for a lathe.

I've always had access to an incredible amount of metal working tools at work. Now I'm building my retirement workshop. Ten years before I need to finish it.
Nothing like being in a shop retired.
Which welders do you have ?
I still weld with this vintage machine. Welds like a dream
Its not even as old as I am
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lincoln DC-250-MK Lincwelder.jpg (202.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-02-2020, 08:43 AM   #20
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by trig123 View Post
Nothing like being in a shop retired.
Which welders do you have ?
I still weld with this vintage machine. Welds like a dream
Its not even as old as I am
Wow I've never seen a welder like that! Looks like a droid from star wars
Attached Images
File Type: jpg R2D2.jpg (6.8 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Garage and Workshop