lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-01-2017, 10:00 PM   #1
mwolddog
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Question 91 3pg: New top end or Just cylinder base gasket?

I have a 91 ezgo with 3pg engine. As far as I know the motor is all original, I've had the cart since 2000. Main use of the cart is for woods/trail. Homemade lift with 20x11-8 tires. Cart used to be able to climb all sorts of hills and terrain.

The cylinder jug base gasket has developed a leak so the jug has to come off anyway. Engine loss of power, especially when hot. Finally noticed an oily clean spot (ie dust blow off) on the clutch side of the engine and can see lil puffs of smoke.

This explains the hard start (even with choke) and power loss. I noticed the end of the exhaust pipe didn’t have the slight oily residue so I added premix to the gas tank (maybe 60:1 ratio) on top of what oil is being supplied by the oil pump. Cart did run alot better. I'm guessing the leak cause the weak fuel/air impulse of the carb side to not draw in the gas and oil from the pump properly. Lack of oil in the fuel mix would cause the rings not to seal properly.

1. Compression (with premix gas) 140psi cold, 120 hot.
2. Compression (without premix gas) 120 psi cold, 110 hot.

How much could those compression reading be "off" because of the extra oil in the gas?

So are those numbers good, 140psi should be ok (but not sure whether the compression is supposed to be taken cold or hot).

Now my questions.

Without having the jug off to measure bore, piston, ring gap.

If the compression is good, would just replacing the base gasket work? I'd rather not throw $200+ into parts I don’t necessarily need if I can just clean piston/rings (or just replace rings) when the jugs off and reuse with good compression. I have other things I can fix or upgrade on the cart.

If just the base gasket replace, would it be necessary to replace outer crank seals? I know weak compression then suddenly good, yeah it will shortly find the next weak link usually case seals.

If compression is not good, I read mixed reviews on here about buying the new aftermarket cylinder/piston rebuild kits. Some not bored correctly (seizing when hot), porting maybe not OEM spec. What are some recent experiences with these rebuild kits? I'm looking at one from one of the site sponsors.

Or would I be better off just buying lets say the .50mm oversize piston/rings and finding a shop to bore/match piston to the OEM cylinder?

I would like to be able to have a good shot at ordering all parts before tearing into it. I do not have room to have the engine torn apart for a week waiting for parts (unless I bring it all inside and put it in the living room, how well would that go over). Plus the pistons and top end kits are "special order" ie non return/refundable from the site (sponsor) I've use before. So if I don't need it, I'm stuck with it!

THX

MW
mwolddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-02-2017, 06:48 AM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 91 3pg: New top end or Just cylinder base gasket?

Considering that these are only supposed to have 120 psi, you are doing pretty good.

What you really need are crankshaft seals.

If you are seeing a leak, and little puffs of smoke in front of the clutch, I'm surprised it's even running.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2 stroke, 3pg rebuild, top end kit
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO