lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-07-2015, 11:08 AM   #1
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default My first FULL "Sparky" Project ... Some help definitely needed

SO - YES I've been doing Gas carts for quite awhile now, and have horse-traded some electrics along the way - but I stumbled into a 2006 DCS cart that's in excellent shape for next to nothing so I figure it's time to get my feet wet in the "Sparky" world once and for all - and I have a few questions.

(Scotty, if You're lurking out there You're likely going to be the one who sells me stuff when I'm ready, LOL but I'd rather ask this stuff publicly so maybe another person down the line can also gain some knowledge from it)

SO ... 2006 DCS cart, 36v, stock. Sat for a year, Energizer (Costco) batteries with 6/13 date. DEAD as can be, and every single cell needed at LEAST a cup of distilled to cover the plates (some needed more). A couple of cables were weak at the ends (replaced) and all terminals were cleaned up and snugged, so the diagnostics began.

Powerwise charger did nothing, of course (had to check it though, even though I knew better) so I charged 3 sets of 2 batteries with a 2A charger for about 4hrs each to get the pack to 36v, charger then proceeded to kick in and hum but no amps on the meter even after an hour - the DMM showed 49v on the pack when it was humming and connected, unplugged it and it dropped to 29v immediately, plugged it back in and nothing so I'm guessing the pack is either THAT discharged or just plain shot. Sound about right?

Gave a buddy who works at our local Welders Supply the lengths, etc and I have a set of 2 Gauge cables being made up for me today, so that's covered no matter how I go. The million dollar question at this point is do I just buy a 48v pack and go from there or ???

The cart is going to be pretty much strictly onroad use or groomed, flat trails (primarily beer runs to town about 3.5mi away, etc) and the hills are mild at best, I have a set of 205's on 14" Fairway Alloys that are going on it (so 20.5" tire height) ... MY thought is go 48V and shoot for 30mph (or more if possible) so I'm going to need (as I see it, please correct me if I'm wrong) a 500A controller, bigger solenoid, 48V battery pack and charger ... For now. The goal if all seems to come together well would be an eventual upgrade over the winter to a high-torque motor and 8:1 or 6:1 gears.

That all said, here's where everyone gets to correct me or throw in some ideas before I break out the checkbook. I realize all of these questions have been asked many times before but I remember back when I thought I had read all I needed to know about my first GAS cart and found out quickly that it wasn't quite that simple, LOL - so any pointers and help would be appreciated by an "Old Timer", even if they are relatively "Newbie" questions.

(And PLEASE don't tell any of the Gas Guys I'm over here asking questions, hahahahaha)

Thanks as Always!
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-07-2015, 11:18 AM   #2
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Default Re: My first FULL "Sparky" Project ... Some help definitely needed

2006 would be a PDS cart, not a DCS. It is still a sepex cart however. The direction control should be on the dash next to the key.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 11:27 AM   #3
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Nope, it's located right where they are on a Gasser, the inner housing for the switch is round and silver, and the cart says "Drive Control System" on the side (which I assume is DCS) ... Serial ends in 06 so that's where I'm getting the year ... If I'm already screwing up something THAT simple this project is DOOMED, Gorno, hahahahahaha

(AM I screwing up something that simple?)
Old 10-07-2015, 11:38 AM   #4
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Brew, kind of scary but I also picked up an 06 PDS this weekend. Was purchased brand new and the guy used it to drive back and forth to the clubhouse about a mile away. Something happened and fried the controller. Lots of melting. Then they just parked it like 5 years ago. Battery pack had a wopping 1.5 volts on it with some being negative so I didn't even try to see if it would charge. So I am going the route of new XCT400 PDS with solenoid, new 48 volt pack with 190ah batteries and a new DPI charger. Thought about the 500 amp but really don't need it for what it will be used for. At least for now. I do have a new style cowl and dump bed body already camoed so she may go that route. For now she will just sit until funds becaome available. Got a couple that need to go away first.. Mainly the expensive limo. You always get creative with yours so it should be a fun build to watch. As I know you are a gasser you will be reaching for that FnR switch by your right leg.. On the PDS carts you can get the FnR switch and holder made for the CC and mount it over the hole in the front center of the body..
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 11:48 AM   #5
culli292
Getting Wild
Club Car

I just finished my cart upgrades (see my signature for mods). The cart has gobs of torque and is right at 30~32mph on flat ground with rpm limited to 6,200 rpm. I wished I had just gone to 48 volt from the beginning!
culli292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 11:56 AM   #6
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewCityMusic View Post
Nope, it's located right where they are on a Gasser, the inner housing for the switch is round and silver, and the cart says "Drive Control System" on the side (which I assume is DCS) ... Serial ends in 06 so that's where I'm getting the year ... If I'm already screwing up something THAT simple this project is DOOMED, Gorno, hahahahahaha

(AM I screwing up something that simple?)
EZ-Go is a big company and they can produce whatever they feel like. Perhaps the 06 is actually a 96? Or, it's a DCS that shouldn't exist. Your description does indicate a DCS F/R assembly. Run the serial number thru shopezgop.com and see what it says.

Can you post a pic of the number plate? A 2006 shouldn't even have a plate in the passenger storage area.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 02:19 PM   #7
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Hmmm ... Well the plot thickens, EZGO is calling it a 1998. Definitely a DCS, though so at least THAT's a good place to start (what's really bothering me is that my 1999 TXT gasser has a stamped metal plate w the SN where this one has the style that is printed like all the 2001-up carts that I've seen - Hmmm ....)

OK, at any rate, after another few hours on the 2A chargers I have one set of 2 batteries that are at 13.1v, one set of 2 at 12.8, and the last set of 2 on the charger now. My thought is to give it another hour or so and put it all back together again, see if the pack voltage is up enough that it'll kick on the Powerwise charger. If it *does* and the charger hums but shows zero amperage, then from what little I've read it's either a REALLY low pack and I need to give it overnight to see, or the diode is bad on the charger, correct? That's what happened yesterday but in all reality the pack was barely pre-charged when I did it (impatience) so I'm hoping a longer more thorough charge might help. In reality, the whole reason I'm even doing this is to make sure there isn't anything else majorly wrong w the cart - but I guess if I'm doing a 48v conversion w controller, batteries, solenoid, and possibly motor there really isn't a whole lot to be gained knocking myself out testing things at this stage because, well, they're all going "bye bye", right?

A 1998 Serial Number that ends in "06" ... New one on ME. Good call, Gorno
Old 10-07-2015, 02:31 PM   #8
CCFanatic
DS Drivers Club Founder

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewCityMusic View Post
Hmmm ... Well the plot thickens, EZGO is calling it a 1998. Definitely a DCS, though so at least THAT's a good place to start (what's really bothering me is that my 1999 TXT gasser has a stamped metal plate w the SN where this one has the style that is printed like all the 2001-up carts that I've seen - Hmmm ....)

OK, at any rate, after another few hours on the 2A chargers I have one set of 2 batteries that are at 13.1v, one set of 2 at 12.8, and the last set of 2 on the charger now. My thought is to give it another hour or so and put it all back together again, see if the pack voltage is up enough that it'll kick on the Powerwise charger. If it *does* and the charger hums but shows zero amperage, then from what little I've read it's either a REALLY low pack and I need to give it overnight to see, or the diode is bad on the charger, correct? That's what happened yesterday but in all reality the pack was barely pre-charged when I did it (impatience) so I'm hoping a longer more thorough charge might help. In reality, the whole reason I'm even doing this is to make sure there isn't anything else majorly wrong w the cart - but I guess if I'm doing a 48v conversion w controller, batteries, solenoid, and possibly motor there really isn't a whole lot to be gained knocking myself out testing things at this stage because, well, they're all going "bye bye", right?

A 1998 Serial Number that ends in "06" ... New one on ME. Good call, Gorno
You want to look at the Manufacturing Code

CCFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 02:44 PM   #9
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Where is the serial printed ? If it is on the body it is possible it was changed. But from what you describe it is a DCS cart that does not like low voltage. That being said if the motor is original it has a different field map than the PDS motors so when you order a controller remember that. As for controllers, there is a lot of rave right now for the new Alltrax XCT and they do have that in a DCS model. Another option is the Curtis 1268. Little harder to program as you have to have the handheld programmer or software and cables for your PC but has tons of options to program with one of them being a hi/low setup where at the flip of a switch you can change the programming of the controller. We put one in my buddies hunting cart and in low it runs around 17mph but will climb trees. In high it doesn't have the torque but runs 26+-..
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 03:53 PM   #10
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Well the good news is that after getting the pack charged in 12v banks to a total of 35.57v and putting it all back together, the charger kicked on and jumped to almost 20A immediately so at least it looks like forward progress - COOL !!!!

Cables should be done in a day or so (maybe even tonight) so I'm going to let the pack charge up completely and take a little test run just to make sure all is well before I tear into it ...

KG, I really like the idea of 2 separate settings for when there are others driving the cart, maybe a keyswitch to control the 2 ranges - I'll bounce it off ScottyB when I call him tomorrow to put together a plan, thanks for the idea!

NEVER thought I'd actually be getting excited to get on a cart and take my first 12mph ride, hahahaha :)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO