lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-03-2015, 03:21 AM   #1
Nutech Jewelzz
Not Yet Wild

Question what is the difference between resistor cart and electric cart?

my boss just asked me to find out the difference between the resistor cart and electric cart. can anyone explain this? PLEASE!!!!!
Nutech Jewelzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-03-2015, 05:01 AM   #2
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: what is the difference between resistor cart and electric cart?

No difference. A resister cart is an electric cart.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 07:33 AM   #3
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Or the difference between a resistor cart and a solid state controller cart? Old technology vs new technology.
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 08:13 AM   #4
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

A resistor cart is an electric cart. The distinction is in how the motor is controlled.

A resistor cart uses a Contact or "wiper" connected to the accelerator pedal to
connect the motor to the batteries.
As you push pedal down, you connect through a series of resistors that decrease in resistance.

The advantages to this cart are simplicity and low cost parts.
The disadvantages are appalling efficiency and the need to replace wiper and resistor coils frequently.
The use of wipers and resistors also greatly restricts the current the motor can be supplied with, limiting both speed and torque.
Resistor carts are limited to about 12mph.(generally)

An " Electric " cart has a solid state or Electronic controller.
Although more complex, it offers much greater reliability and far more flexibility in
power and speed options. The efficiency is also much greater resulting in more drive time and longer battery life.

Resistor carts are no longer manufactured (to my knowledge) ,due to the Advantages of the solid state controller setup.

Good Luck !!!
Hopes this helps !!!
HiTechRedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 08:40 AM   #5
coosa
Gone Wild

Tell your boss that a guy who has run both of them extensively said to avoid the resistor cart and buy one with a controller. 😄
coosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:40 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

From the Carts Unlimited Website, here is the description of how the early resistor coil speed control differs from modern electronic speed control.
Go here to see the conversion kits and read more > http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Scotty...ersion_Kit.php

Early carts ( pre 1991) use a series of graduated sizes of speed resistor coils to regulate speed. Each coil in the group offered less resistance than the previous one. When you stepped on the gas 100% of the available battery power (amperage) was drawn and speed was regulated by how much of this amperage was burned off (wasted) by the resistor coils. So even if you push the peddle a little it drains the batteries same as wide open throttle. The gas peddle operated a wiper which swept a contact across stationary lugs which connected to the resistors. Each resistor has a graduated resistance value which regulates how much amperage is allowed to flow to the motor ...the motor goes faster the more amperage it is allowed to draw.

This wiper contact and board assembly was subject to meltdowns from high amp arcing which resulted in every problem from no go to welded in wide open throttle position. What a nightmare!

Modern carts use solid state speed control. These controllers only draw as many amps as you ask for with the peddle.... If you push the peddle down 10% they deliver 10% of their capacity. I say their capacity because a controller is like a gate valve (or a hose bib) to the amperage stored in the batteries... We have different size controllers(valves) available so 10% of a 400 amp is less than 10% of a 650 amp controller.

Increased Amperage = Increased Torque

Increased Voltage = Increased Speed

The solid state controller does not waste any amps and this will increases the run time.

I hope this helps you

understand how your cart works!

Enjoy the Ride
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 11:00 AM   #7
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Nice post ScottyB!! Man....those early electric carts had to be tough as nails on early batteries. Pre-'91....the "Flintstone" years!!
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 01:59 AM   #8
rlw
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Location: Southeast Ohio -- "The Toenails of the Foothills of Appalachia"

I gotta say:

YABBA DABBA DOOOOOOOOOO!

I like my resistor cart for the simplicity. Yeah, I know that a controller would make my cart more efficient, but I just can't see myself investing $500 in a black box I can't fix. The resistor assembly is just a coiled-up piece of wire. I could replace it with barbed wire in a pinch.

It works for me.

RLW
rlw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric ez go, marathon diagram
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO