lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-10-2021, 01:55 PM   #1
Miznitch
Not Yet Wild

Default 2014 Precedent brake conversion?

Hey guys- I’m new to the Club Car gang, having recently changed from a Tomberlin…

I am trying to research the possibility of an “engine brake” and I’m sure I’m using the incorrect term, so please forgive my ignorance. On the new carts at my club, there is no parking brake catch on the brake pedal- when you press the pedal, the cart stops and is locked in place until you press the accelerator. Is it possible to change braking system from the parking brake latch on the upper left of the brake pedal to this new style?

Thanks for your help!

Mitch
Miznitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-27-2021, 05:09 PM   #2
Miznitch
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2014 Precedent brake conversion?

Bump… hoping someone can assist or point me in the right direction.
Miznitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 12:22 PM   #3
fstop
Gone Wild

Default Re: 2014 Precedent brake conversion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miznitch View Post
Hey guys- I’m new to the Club Car gang, having recently changed from a Tomberlin…

I am trying to research the possibility of an “engine brake” and I’m sure I’m using the incorrect term, so please forgive my ignorance. On the new carts at my club, there is no parking brake catch on the brake pedal- when you press the pedal, the cart stops and is locked in place until you press the accelerator. Is it possible to change braking system from the parking brake latch on the upper left of the brake pedal to this new style?

Thanks for your help!

Mitch
You are referring to a "Motor Brake" I think.

The Precedent you have doesn't have one AFAIK, and your club is probably using EZGO RXV carts which do have them. They also don't have any traditional mechanical brakes - only regen brakes for normal braking and the "motor brake" for parking and emergency braking (loss of power or panic stop).

It is a mechanical latching type brake which is on or off basically, and your Precedent has mechanical drum friction brakes only - no mechanical brake on the motor itself.

If I recall, my Onward - when stock - had some amount of ability to slow the cart if it was parked and then began rolling w/out driving it, but this was being done actively by the controller essentially "driving" the cart a little bit by itself to keep it from moving too fast. The Onward and Precedent carts are basically the same, yours may be able to do this also.

I now have an aftermarket controller in mine which also does this, with some added adjustability over the stock one, but it doesn't keep it perfectly still and I wouldn't say it is a substitute for a parking brake - it's more of an unexpected roll-away safety feature.

I guess the short answer is that if the roll-away capability doesn't do what you want you need to use the mechanical locking brake pedal.
fstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car